Nitrox training (PADI vs. TDI)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divernva

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm fairly new to the sport, but I'm considering a Nitrox course for skill enhancement and flexibility. Most of the LDS offer PADI, but a few have mentioned the TDI certification (BTW - is this NAUI?). So I'm wondering about differences in terms of $$$, content, recognition on trips, and impacts to further certificaitons (Master Scuba). I'm also wondering if it's wise to pursue this with AOW (which I'm half way through and hope to achieve by the end of August). Any advice would be appreciated!

I took mine with TDI. One TDI shop was $99, another TDI shop wanted $139. Go figure.

One big difference between TDI & PADI is that the TDI cert is a classroom only course where PADI requires 2 dives.

DiverNVA,

I have done both the PADI nitrox and TDI Advanced Nitrox courses. Personally, I found the PADI material better than the TDI stuff, but the should not be much, if any, difference in the basic course with any of the cert agencies. Both certs should be well recognised on trips (at least thats true in Europe and Egypt)

Texass is correct that TDI does not actually require dives for the cert. It does however require that you analyse cylinders correctly before you can complete the course, which is effectively what the PADI dives are about. The actual diving of Nitrox requires no additional in water skills. For any Nitrox course, the important section is the classroom, where it is vital you learn and understand the additional theory, its consequences and dive according to the limits imposed by what you breathe.

If you wish to go down the tech route, any nitrox course will allow you to do so. However, if you are aiming for the PADI Master Scuba Diver, only the PADI course will be applicable.

As there are no in water skills to be performed on the PADI course, Nitrox and AOW can be taught at the same time, so if you do two of your AOW dives on Nitrox, you can obtain both tickets. It may be worth speaking to your AOW instructor about combining the courses for your remaining dives. You would have to complete the theory and exam prior to the dives.

Best of luck with whatever you choose and enjoy the extra bottom time.

DiverDave

at least at this level of cert the instructor is more important than the agency. So go for the best instructor you can find regardless of agency. One observation about PADI: PADI doesn't allow instructor to deviate for the course outline or add material to the course. As an example, I'm currently talking to a friend, who is a TDI instructor and a WKPP support diver, about taking a staged decompression class, however the class will be taught according to DIR/GUE standards because there are no GUE instructors in Texas. The kicker is that the above can be done without (as I understand it) violating TDI standards. This something that can't be done with PADI, at least offically. But just to repeat, worry more about the instructor than the agency.

Peace and don't pet the Great Whites :)
svs3

Thanks DiverDave,

I have been wondering about the advanced stuff - I got 3/4 of the way and then the shop got their schedule mixed up so I stopped the classes - now I was wondering if I could use a Nitrox class towards the advanced - your answer makes sense..

Cheers,
Dane

And the bonus is that it also counts as one of your specialities towards Master Scuba diver!! Well worth doing simply for the added safety margin (see other threads on the board regarding this).

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the great info!

I also heard that the tables were different (TDI 1, PADI 2), does this make life any easier? PADI's training involves some type of kit which also drives the cost. What exactly is this and what is the cost difference?

At this point, I'm leaning towards doing the PADI Nitrox in conjunction with AOW. I figure this path is the most flexible since most of the LDS teach PADI. I plan to do the Rescue Diver course next year, so hopefully Master Scuba won't be far off.

Just read your message, and I applaud your decision to take the PADI course. I agree with an earlier post in relation to the quality of the PADI course materials.
I would also like to encourage to you to go ahead with your plans to take a Rescue course. I found it to be a fun course, plus it really improved both my enjoyment of diving and my diving ability.

The kit includes a little green bag that says PADI on it(it's similar to a bank money bag, but 3 times the size), PADI Enriched Air Manual, 32% tables, 36% tables, and a another table that has the EADs on one side and the O2 Exposure Limits on the other.

I found it to be a good class. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom