help with some research...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doppler

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is a call to those of you who have some experience on which to draw.

OK, depending on your outlook and training, and assuming you are diving or were diving OC, sometime in your past you considered the various failure points of a set of manifolded doubles. You may also have drilled specific reactions based on the type of failure and so on.

One may breakdown the potential failures into those behind your head (nine "options" according to some... many fixable most not) and those in front (hoses fixable, hoses unfixable, second stage issues, SPG, LP issues et al).

Anyhow, here's my question... while researching for a book I'm finding very little data for actual instances for real behind the head failures. And among those few actual incidents... I've had burst disks go about 100 metres up the Peanut Tunnel... none were fixable. My feeling is that fixable issues SHOULD BE caught before diving by pre-dive equipment checks (loose hoses for example).

How about you folks... what's your actual experience?

Last edited:
Going down the Descondido line in Naharon, my husband was sure he heard bubbles. He'd previously asked me to check him, and I'd seen nothing, but this time, I looked and there was a steady stream of small bubbles coming from the burst disc on his left tank. We turned the dive and exited uneventfully.

In Gennie, when the flow was whipping, the isolator's plastic handle cracked
down the length of it. I would have had to squeeze the handle to isolate.
I didn't know until after the dive and I was out of my kit.
Kal

I have had a primary freeflow (a 1st stage HP seat that gave up during the dive) and a buddy had an inflator hose come loose during a dive (propably just "fingertight" to begin with)...

The primary was solved by shutting down the valve, the inflator-hose issue I diagnosed after my buddy had signalled (and the buddy turned off the valve)...

This is a call to those of you who have some experience on which to draw.

OK, depending on your outlook and training, and assuming you are diving or were diving OC, sometime in your past you considered the various failure points of a set of manifolded doubles. You may also have drilled specific reactions based on the type of failure and so on.

One may breakdown the potential failures into those behind your head (nine "options" according to some... many fixable most not) and those in front (hoses fixable, hoses unfixable, second stage issues, SPG, LP issues et al).

Anyhow, here's my question... while researching for a book I'm finding very little data for actual instances for real behind the head failures. And among those few actual incidents... I've had burst disks go about 100 metres up the Peanut Tunnel... none were fixable. My feeling is that fixable issues SHOULD BE caught before diving by pre-dive equipment checks (loose hoses for example).

How about you folks... what's your actual experience?
Talk to scooter divers, I hear ceilings and valves don't go well together. :rofl3:

There's an article that talks about pro/cons of an isolation manifold and hints on records of failures, perhaps contacting the author for sources could help.
&#8220;Ideal&#8221; Manifolds&#8230; Not So Ideal? <-Part 1
Manifold Options for Cave Diving <-Part 2

On a dive at Ginnie, a buddy of mine had bubbles coming from one of his burst discs at the bubble check. I whipped out my adjustable wrench and fixed it.

Never experienced a real life issue like that while diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom