Mollusks in California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thoma004

Registered
Reaction score
I know taking abalone is very regulated, but does anyone know if it is legal to SCUBA for topshells or other mollusks in California?

I know taking abalone is very regulated, but does anyone know if it is legal to SCUBA for topshells or other mollusks in California?

It depends on where you are. Take a look at the online DFG sportfishing regs here. The marine protected area (MPA) tables elaborate on what species you can and cannot take in each MPA beginning on page 58.

There is probably another place in the regs that talk about what you can and cannot take legally in non-MPAs so take a look!

Thanks! I'll check that out

It is legal to take rock scallops in California with SCUBA. We have been doing this in the Channel Islands for years.
urmaddad

Not all of California!

As an example, Laguna Beach has a number of MPAs that restrict take. Off Heisler Park, all take is forbidden, but off most of the rest of Laguna Beach it is ILLEGAL to take scallops and all other invertebrates, except for lobster during season.

Refer to the link I provided in a previous post. Many divers are surprised that this restriction exists but it certainly does and it is enforced!

It is difficult to reply to your question since you are not using a name or a common name.

I suspect that you are referring to the large turban shell, which had a limit of 35 per day. It is edible and often used in various sauces, especially as a component of spaghetti sauce. The Italians refer to the shells as "Sqangelli" (Sp) --- as I recall from years past.

When cleaned and polished the shell becomes an object of beauty.

The operculum can also be polished, drilled to create a lovely drop broach.

Please bear in mind that just about every thing in California waters have a season, a limit or both or possibly on the endangered list. Suggest that you might obtain a copy of F&G rules as well as establishing a personal library of marine life ID.

Good luck!

sdm

29.05 (1) pg 52
Except where prohibited within state marine reserves, state marine parks, state marine conservation areas, or other special closures only the following may be taken: red abalone, limpets, moon snails, turban snails, chiones, clams, cockles, mussels, rock scallops, native oysters, octopuses, squid, crabs, lobsters, shrimp, sand dollars, sea urchins and worms except that no worms may be taken in any mussel bed, unless taken incidental to the harvesting of mussels.

If a mollusc is not listed it cannot taken. What's a chiones? Oh maybe it is a chiton.

The "Table of MPAs and Their General Restrictions" starting around pg 58 as previously stated is a good guide if taking invertebrates or spearfishing in or near these areas. There are also updates on the CA DFG site mainly for fish.

9" Abalone Russian Gulch Sept. 2008​

Attachments

• Fis_Hunter9AbRG.JPG
    Fis_Hunter9AbRG.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 138
Chionies....

A small common bivalve.

Has two scientific names; Chione californiensis or Venus succiecta.

Found in California to mid Baja

Identified by white rough shell with concentric rings.

I have several in my collection,

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom