Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope someone can give a fair answer because I'm trying to decide between the D9 (approx retail..$1500 w/trans) the Vytec (approx retail $800 no trans) and the Cobra 2 (approx retail$950). I'm thinking NOT the cobra2 because I prefer to have analogue gauges and the computer on my wrist, but otherwise I like the features of the cobra 2...

according to the suunto brochure the main difference between the D9 and the Vytec is the max depth, memory capasity& the display type, and the D9 operates as a watch...and the Vytec has user replaceable battery...D9 has a digital compass

I'm leaning towards the Vytec without AI. But I'd like to compare to some other brands because I have no brand loyalty...

I'm currently using a really old Oceanic DataMax Sport-I bought used 15 years ago and has never failed me (I stay in the computers' & wheel's NDL's, I get cold before I run out of air or hit NDL's....), and I'm really just looking for some more bells and whistles to keep me entertained....

What sort of information are you looking for?

Its a decent computer that can handle air, nitrox and 2 gases for deco. Has gauge mode and computer download. You can customise the conservatism and model to an extent.

Like the vyper its got a nice big clear display that is easy to read underwater. User changeable battery is a huge plus and really cuts down costs and delays.

I dislike the cobra, the D9 is a little more cluttered and do you really NEED a digital compass? I wouldnt bother with the transmitter either.

Other than that, the vytec is an excellent computer.

if you're not going to get the transmitter then don't get a Vytec... or D9
I like mine..
Is this your 1st computer?

Not sure what your looking for, for info. I have a Vytec and really like it but I have the AI and for me thats the best part. If it was not for the AI I would probably have gone with a much cheaper computer.

If you specific questions I will do my best to answer them.

Regards

Does anyone have a Suunto Vytec? How is it? More concerned about the computer itself as I probably won't be buying the air transmitter.

Thanks

Love my Vytec DS especially now that I have the Deep Sea Supply bungie mount... (http://deepseasupply.com)

My only complaint so far is that it is pretty conservative for my technical diving. Beyond that it's pretty good. In the past I've had a Oceanic Atom and a Oceanic Versa Pro 2.0. Definitely like the Vytec.

PS. I don't use the use the transmitter nor did I even buy one to start with, having had one with my Atom and not really using it in the end. I use a Suunto SK-7 wrist compass also with a Deep Sea Supply bungie wrist mount for my compass.

I agree with the above. If you're not going to get the transmitter, you can save money by getting a Cobra (not Cobra 2) over a Vytec - and get AI to boot.

FWIW, I recently got a used (2 dives) Vytec and transmitter for $600. I plan to use it as a back to my Cobra.

Agree with the above post about AI. I wouldn't buy a non-AI computer as anything other than a backup. I love AI :)

The D9 looks nice - but no way am I going to wear on a regular basis something that costs that much. Also, given susectibility to damage when worn on a regular basis, it just doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Good luck!
nd

I liked my Vytec. The display is very large, which was nice for old eyes. I ran it in gauge mode, and didn't have the transmitter.

But I gave it up for an Aladin Tec 2g, which has a resettable stopwatch and resettable depth averaging, even though the display is somewhat smaller. I found the stopwatch great, because I'm getting old, and have trouble remembering whether I left the bottom at 33 minutes or 34 . . . the stopwatch doesn't get addled.

Now I'm using a Liquivision X1, which is a Ferrari in the computer world, but, alas, doesn't have a stopwatch!

string:
Its a decent computer that can handle air, nitrox and 2 gases for deco. Has gauge mode and computer download. … Like the vyper its got a nice big clear display that is easy to read underwater. User changeable battery is a huge plus and really cuts down costs and delays.
TsandM:
I liked my Vytec. The display is very large, which was nice for old eyes. I ran it in gauge mode, and didn't have the transmitter. But I gave it up for an Aladin Tec 2g, which has a resettable stopwatch and resettable depth averaging
I will echo these sentiments. Love my Vytec – appreciate the bigger display, like and regularly use the nitrox and multi-gas capability, availability of gauge mode, and the computer download capability. Have only changed the battery once in 6 years. I also have a transmitter, which I find convenient, although not essential. The one feature it does not have is the resettable stopwatch, with second-level timing, not just minute-level timing. I see no value in the extra expense for a digital compass.

I have both a D-6 (very similar to a D-9 w/o AI) and use them both in gauge mode. The D-6 is great in warm water and I wear it like a watch for the entire trip and then use it as my primary bottom timer/depth gauge for diving. I use the Vytec for Cold water as the buttons and display are larger and easier to both see and use with drygloves. Both have a stop watch for timing deco. The D-6 costs more (though less than the D-9) and I enjoy the fact that it is also a watch with all the alarm features, etc. One less thing to not have to worry about forgetting to bring. I have yet to use the compass feature on the D-6. Both are quality products and I have been very happy with both.

Back
Top Bottom