BP/W and Single Tank....HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, I only have 4 dives on my new BP/W. Setup is a Dive Rite Alumn. plate, harness, and Venture wing. I use an LP108 single tank. Yesterday while diving the tank shifts around. The first dive it shifted and the bottom strapped came undone. Not sure if the shifting caused the strap to come undone or the other way around.

Second dive, I really adjusted the straps and made sure they were as tight as I could get them. Straps stayed secure...BUT, the tank flops back and forth on my back. I kept thinking my tank was hitting something above me because it would bump as it shifted.

After the dive when I took my tank off on the tailgate of the truck, the backplate was shifted at an angle. Top was tilted toward the right and the bottom kicked out to the left. It is frustrating because the straps were tight on the tank. You guys with experience need to help me on this one.

Anyone ever had this problem ,and if so, how did you fix it???

I use a DR TransPlate with SS BP, 40lb Oxycheq Mach V Extreme wing, DR SS tank cambands with and without DR STA HP100/HP130 tanks. I have not had a similar problem. I have a cover over the BP bolts to prevent rubbing on the tank.

I wonder if it is your tank cambands? The DR SS tank cambands are very secure on mine.

Without pictures, it is hard to imagine the BP shifted at an angle unless the tank cambands came loose.

A hogarthian rig set up and adjustment explanation might help you a bit. If you already have all that covered and do not have a single tank adapter, then adding either a dual band or single band single tank adapter might be your next step.

STA (single tank adapter).

dbd10l.jpg
AdaptadorBotella1159.jpg

Edit -------------->

I found another thread that covers set up on a hogarthian rig very well. Pic's are everything in an online convo ... this link has them!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the links...I really think the STA might be the way to go on this. I read through all the links, and the harness is done correctly. Thanks for the help.

A hogarthian rig set up and adjustment explanation might help you a bit. If you already have all that covered and do not have a single tank adapter, then adding either a dual band or single band single tank adapter might be your next step.

STA (single tank adapter).

dbd10l.jpg
AdaptadorBotella1159.jpg

Edit -------------->

I found another thread that covers set up on a hogarthian rig very well. Pic's are everything in an online convo ... this link has them!!

I thought you had and STA! No wonder you're having issues...

No I don't have one. I was just looking to see if I could find a weighted STA...thought this might solve two problems.

I thought you had and STA! No wonder you're having issues...

Several folks make weighted STAs.

I made an STA out of a piece of 8" diameter PVC pipe for my venture wing and aluminum plate. Works fine and I only use one tank cam band

I was with Glen this weekend, and got some pictorial evidence of the crooked tank :)

Glen and I don't use STA's...

I have never had a problem, but am diving smaller single tanks (AL80's and worthington HP100's) with a 7.25 diameter.

Glen's diving with silos (LP105's??) with an 8" diameter, so the straps aren't staying in their place.

Back
Top Bottom