Excess Baggage on Singapore Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aqualportal

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to KBR the first part of October. Really looking forward to it. This is our first trip to KBR. In the old days we were allowed 2 bags 70 lbs each when leaving the US. As most of you know it is now 50 lbs per bag. We travel with more weight than that as most diver photographers can attest to. My travel agent contacted Singapore Airlines and was told it is cheaper to pay for an extra bag than to pay excess charges for an over weight bag. Has anyone done this????

Look on the Singapore site. They just changed how they charge for overweight bags. I am headed there in less than 3 weeks and my main concern was Silk air....but being I am checking the bag in LA with Singapore it will go thru. Basically I would keep your bag at 50lbs and do a couple of carryons.

My worst problem was with Singapore in LAX in August 2008. The check-in counter at LAX made me move items around to meet weight. I complained and the lady at the counter let some go through because she could see that I was upset. But they are pretty strict about the carry-on weight of 7kg or less. I had to move my regulator from one carry-on to my backpack to get it under 8kg. She saw me getting mad and let this carry-on go through. Afterwards, I switched the regulator back into the carry-on to make room in my backpack. Then at the terminal a Sinapore Air representative was walking checking people's carry-on bags. He must have a calibrated arm for 7kg. :wink: He checked my bag and I had to move my regulator back to my backpack. They were the most picky out of all places.

Silk Air in Singapore and Manado gave me no trouble as long as I mentioned to them that I am a diver. They did not weigh any of the carry-on bags at either location.

Enjoy your trip. Say 'hello' to Rivo for Mr. Phil and Ms. Linda! Or just call him monkey's boyfriend and he will know!:D

Jeez....I was worried about Silk...my carryons weigh as much as my checked bag.....did not know they became so strict....hmmmmm

So 15 lbs limit for each carryon? Is that correct? I'd better weigh my carryons. Like Scott, my check in luggage is cool. 30 lbs for my rolling duffle with my gear and maybe 10 lbs for my gym bag with my clothes. I like to travel light. But I carry on my camera stuff and reg in a rolling backpack. And I have a messenger bag for my laptop. I am not checking those.

Travelnsj:
Jeez....I was worried about Silk...my carryons weigh as much as my checked bag.....did not know they became so strict....hmmmmm
After reading your previous reviews, I was worried about Silk Air, more that Singapore. I brought extra $$ because I thought I would have to pay. I never had any trouble or issues with Silk. This was my first time on Singapore Air and also the first time I ever had my carry-on luggage weighed. I am curious if they do this for every flight. I had never seen anyone walk through the gate checking carry-on bags before.

fairybasslet:
So 15 lbs limit for each carryon? Is that correct?
Yes, according to Singapore Air's website and their staff at the counter in LAX. I was not asked to weigh my carry-on outside of LAX.

Yes, according to Singapore Air's website and their staff at the counter in LAX. I was not asked to weigh my carry-on outside of LAX.

I hope they don't weigh them at JFK.:shocked2:

I never had a problem in December and January with Singapore or Silk. But I just read Ken with Reef seekers who just was on Silk that they made him check one of his carryons. Although he did not like it....

My problem this last year was with the Indonesian airlines...They suck...and in about three and a half weeks leaving Manado and headed to Raja....I have to be on three of their flights!

Singapore Air from LAX will be a 747 so any carry on bag fits easily But Silk Air flies much smaller Airbus planes with less space in the overhead compartments.

Last year I was approached by a Silk Air staff person while in the departure lounge in Singapore about my carry on which was legal size if normally stuffed, but mine was overstuffed. I showed her how I could take out a dive suit out and it would make it legal size and that was OK with her. She was just concerned it wouldn't fit.

I also use a separate regulator bag which I attach to the bottom of my carry on with snap bolts. It is easier to open up the reg bag if the screeners ask as they often do in Japan when you are in transit. Also if given trouble about weight of your carry on, you could unsnap the reg bag and claim that as a personal item (like a purse or laptop) (or hide it from the check in person)

You could also try pooling your luggage allowance with some other person and weighing it all together to see if you come out below the max. Some airlines in the past (air New Zealand) even encouraged this.

A foot under a bag propping it up may eliminate some of the weight.

Also get to check in early, staff might be more mellow than after checking in a few hundred passengers.

Well, I weighed my rolling backpack and all by itself, it is 7 lbs!! I am going to look at a lighter weight one tonight. I keep my reg and camera stuff in there so I want to keep it with me. My personal item is my laptop case, so I can't take my reg bag out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom