Lionfish from International Coastal Cleanup 9/20/08, Fort Adams, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderH2OView

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here are some pictures of a Lionfish my wife and I took while participating in Fort Adams cleanup. The fish was sitting in an abandoned lobster pot in 35 ft of water.

CRW_0980.jpg

CRW_0748.jpg

CRW_0977.jpg

CRW_0986.jpg

I just came back off a live aboard cruise in the Bahamas last week. It was amazing (for better or worse) to see how the lionfish population has exploded down there. 2yrs ago when I was down there, I saw 1 the whole trip. Last year we saw maybe a dozen the whole trip. In June we saw 2-3 every dive & last week, it was at least 6-7 every dive. we had one dive where a lot of stingrays hang out (about 2 dozen of them). On a challenging night dive (ripping current) it seemed like a pin cushion of pain waiting on the bottom between the lionfish & stingrays.

Excellent pics. Did you use a strobe?

Thanks for sharing those.

Internal strobe was used on some of the pictures with the diffuser plate built into the housing, not sure which pictures are which. These are the few unblurred good ones. Camera is a Canon A570IS with Canon UW housing, using Macro mode and underwater setting. Pics were taken in RAW format using CHDK hack. Post processing was lighting fix in Picassa and cropping, then convert to jpeg.

Here's another one, uncropped. Full picture shows more of the New England sealife, including a seabass fin or tail blurring the left side.

CRW_0748-1.jpg

And a good sized spotfin butterfly taken by my wife at Fort Adams, 9/21

CRW_0852.jpg

NE Diving at its best, These should make it in to Scubadiving Magazine.

I think it is incredible (for the good or bad as said before) that the Lionfish has made it that far North. What is the farthest point South that have they been spotted (Caribbean or even farther south)?

Being from Maine and diving in RI for the first time last weekend we had a great time. At times it was hard to decide what was a wayward tropical and what was indiginous but there was plenty to enjoy. It's a trip I'd suggest to any New Englander.

Great pictures!

Pete

Most of the tropicals and all of the Lionfish should die off by November as the water cools. The last thing I want are adult lionfish in and around some of the wrecks with Low Vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom