backup gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fairly new to diving and I'm slowly getting my own gear. I recently got the suunto cobra dive computer but am now looking into getting backup analog depth and pressure gauges. I'm wondering how I can have both together. Does suunto make a console that will hold all three? If not is there a way I can have the gauges on one line and the cobra on another? How many lines can you have coming off the 1st stage? Thanks for your help,
L

Suunto dosnt make a console to hold all three. The idea behind the Cobra been air integrated is that if something gos "belly up" you should abort the dive.

If you feel you want to have a seperate set of analog gauges you will need to run another high pressure hose from your first stage which will be attached to your redundant set of analog gauges ( pressure and depth gauge) - obviously you will first need to check if your first stage has two HP ports, if it dos, no problem, go ahead and run another hose, although depending on where the 2nd HP port is situated, you may need to run a longer or shorter hose and route it differantly to a regular scuba set up.

I dont feel redundancy like this is necessary for the average diver doing recreational dives, you may find all the hoses around you a bit confusing and irritating and it could end up been an entanglement issue.

If you are really stuck on redundancy, I would just suggest a basic wrist computer which will give you a back up bottom time, ascent rate and if required deco times and stops - it dosnt address the air issue, but just make up your mind to abort the dive and use the wrist computer to surface safely if your Cobra gos dead on you during a dive.

Good question. If you would allow me, I will share some of my experience that may help you frame your options.

I only use sunnto gauges. I started out using them because that's what the dive shop sold. Now I use them because of their reliability and the company's customer service the few times I had to deal with them.

In my 25 years of diving, I have had one pressure guage die of old age, a depth gauge die of undetermined causes and and had a compass wrecked in transit. Except for the compass, all showed signs of failure before the loss become catastrophic, so replacement solved the problem. I have had two sunnto computers and never had problem with either.

redundancy is a fine thing, but you might ask what is reasonable expectation of failure and what are the consequences? Like widget said, if the computer goes you end your dive and return to the surface. If you are concerned about not having asecent info or decomp info provided by the computer, use a second computer. I am not big on air integrated computers as it does add a level of complexity to my gear that I would rather not deal with as a matter of personal preference, which is why I chose the gekko over the cobra.

Hi,

I'm fairly new to diving and I'm slowly getting my own gear. I recently got the suunto cobra dive computer but am now looking into getting backup analog depth and pressure gauges. I'm wondering how I can have both together. Does suunto make a console that will hold all three? If not is there a way I can have the gauges on one line and the cobra on another? How many lines can you have coming off the 1st stage? Thanks for your help,
L

the hose question comes down to the first stage you have, If you have 2 hp ports, you can have 2 hoses for the compute and a seperated gauge.

I have an AI computer, and the transmitter takes one of the hp ports, and I have my backup on the other hp port.

Back
Top Bottom