8 legs & brains to boot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitetip

Reaction score
A fair assessment of the Atlantic Octopus I find .

Ranging from the minuscule to the big boys (5 to 6 footers ,) these guys are both fascinating and a delight to get to know . I admit to being hooked on interaction with them , specially a big old boy , ( I assume it's a male ) who frequents my fav dive site , which for obvious reasons will remain secret .

Our first meeting was a surprising event , mostly for the reason that he showed no fear of humans , a strange state of affairs in an environment in which his kind is actively fished for . They are a delicacy , and adorn many a market slab or restaurant plate .

He spent the best part of 5 minutes crawling all over me , at one time his mantle and legs covering my head and shoulders ,probably trying to figure out exactly what I was . ( Strangely enough , not as an alarming experience as one would think . ) As to whether he was ascertaining my identity , or indulging in some octpoid neoprene fetishism , I'll never know .
Having finished his explorations , he returned to his hole , which was adorned with lots of crab shells , the remains of his dinners . ( That's how I found him in the first place . ) The look of both arrogance and possible insolence he gave me then as he settled back into his rocky abode , will stay with me for a long time .
Since then , whenever I visit the site , I take some fish with me , and he does seem to enjoy his sardine treat . He's definately territorial , and I hope he stays around for some time to come .
I would love to able to gauge his age ... any one got any ideas ?
I've named him Brutus , long may he grace the depths.

Whitetip

VERY very cool!!!

Thanks for the story. :)

~SubMariner~

Excellence Field report whitetip, makes me feel that i'm sharing the same experiences with you. Hope that you can post some pics of Brutus.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom