Bungees????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently I saw a video in which a guy wearing a BC similar to mine (back-inflation, weight integrated) seemed to have the "wings" of his BC reduced in size/volume with a series of straps or bungees (two or three on each side).

My question: Does anyone know anything about this? Is it common? It looked like he really streamlined the profile of the BC -- perhaps for a dive where he did not need the extra lift. Or perhpas it was a permanent thing.

I seem to remember seeing a guy from a distance last year at Dutch with a similar set-up.

Just curious. Any insights appreciated.

It's a B&D thang....

you wouldn't want to understand.

:wink:

Curly once bubbled...
Recently I saw a video in which a guy wearing a BC similar to mine (back-inflation, weight integrated) seemed to have the "wings" of his BC reduced in size/volume with a series of straps or bungees (two or three on each side).

My question: Does anyone know anything about this? Is it common? It looked like he really streamlined the profile of the BC -- perhaps for a dive where he did not need the extra lift. Or perhpas it was a permanent thing.

I seem to remember seeing a guy from a distance last year at Dutch with a similar set-up.

Just curious. Any insights appreciated.

Does it look like this http://www.omsdive.com/buoyancy.html#DUALBLADDER

Its a very emotional issue here.People either love them or hate them.

Many of us fondly refer to them as the "bungee wings of death", or BWOD.

I don't like them for one good reason:

If you pop a hole in that wing at depth, those bungess are going to squeeze out all of the air that you need for inflation. You inflate, it deflates. Not good in my opinion.

There are differing opinions, but of course, they are all wrong!:D

They are good for controlling expanding bags of gas while doing your SI

MD

They also appear to pose a bit of a snag/entanglement hazard.

Since I'd seen them a few times recently, I was curious.

Anyone out there have an opinion in support of these bcs? I'd like to know more about them.

I have a set and have tried the bc with and without the bands. I just like how the bc responds with the bungees on. They say if you get a puncture in the bc all the gas will escape, which is true but if you get a puncture you are going to go to back up inflation anyway. Plus the bands shouldn't be so tight that it instantly compresses the bag. Its all about setting them up right. No biggy.

A bad answer to a real problem... Instead of fixing a flawed design, they created more flaws.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom