Exploded scuba cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hardhat

Reaction score
Hi every one,

I'm looking for some pictures of what happens when a scuba cylinders explodes. I use to have a few but can't find them right now and I want to show a class what happens when a cylinder goes.

Thanks for any help on this.
Tom

Google is your friend.

from Undersea Divers

fill_station2.jpg

fill_station.jpg

tank.jpg

from FireHydro.com - The Pacific Northwest's Premiere Hydro Facility

explotank_small.jpg

image017.jpg

from Dive Industry Technician Service Course, scuba regulators spare parts, compressors, scuba tanks, regulator service manuals

burst_scuba_tankx.jpg

from InterSector

scuba%20tank.jpg

from Sierra Diving Center. Your gateway to Lake Tahoe.

WORKBOOK_FRONT_JPEG.jpg

a few more

012_4.jpg

Tanque-explotado.jpg

Here's a photo of the cylinder that exploded and the resulting damage.

Attachments

• tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,384
Here are a few, including some photos of the damage that an exploding cylinder can cause...

Attachments

• ali_explo_small.jpg
    ali_explo_small.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 469
  • bank.jpg
    bank.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 400
  • explodinhg scuba tank.jpg
    explodinhg scuba tank.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,698
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 878
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 402
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 435
  • image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 392
  • image019.jpg
    image019.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 882
  • neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 419
  • rent.jpg
    rent.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 488
  • tank12.jpg
    tank12.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 503
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 597
  • tank_blo_small.jpg
    tank_blo_small.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 1,265
Hmmm, good advertisement for steel tanks.

hey "V" were you here when the tank got away from the shop over in Burton? it didn't explode -, blew the valve out and took off like rocket while the shop owner was sitting on it! I missed "the event" by about 5 minutes.....

hey "V" were you here when the tank got away from the shop over in Burton? it didn't explode -, blew the valve out and took off like rocket while the shop owner was sitting on it! I missed "the event" by about 5 minutes.....

I missed that. But I gotta ask, why was he sitting on it? :confused:

I walk up, he's sitting outside the shop on the tank with a chain wrench around the cylinder and a monster pipe wrench on the valve - turning it about 1/16 of a turn at the time - really straining - I ask what he's doing -said somebody brought tank in and the valve was damaged - wouldn't open or close - I asked if it had air in it - he said NOPE and kept turning - I left (bad feeling) - came back about an hour later - busy shop was empty - he's sitting trying to drink a cup of coffee and shaking - said tank valve got about 1/2 way out and blew - it was in pieces - tank hit a cinder block wall, bounced off that, hit a huge oak tree - bounced of that and headed out over the marsh - I found it about 150 yds away and buried in the mud... fortunately it was pointed away from the shop when it 'left" - said it sounded like the artillery he heard when he was in Korea... (I have photos!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom