Dive shop accident statistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Where can I get information on how many accidents a specific dive shop has had with people on their boats?

I called DAN, but they said they kept no such records. The specific resort I am inquiring about is a PADI resort, so they told me to contact PADI to find out. No word yet from PADI?

Should I be looking somewhere else for this info? This dive shop is out of the country.

Thanks,

Jason

I would say that unless something was filed with the BBB or a lawsuit was filed (both of which would be public records) then you probably won't find anyone to release that information.....to much liability if they report something incorrectly.

Chad

I don't know of a way.

You could always dive with them a statistically significant number of times and count how many accidents you have. You could then statistically infer how many accidents they probably had in the past over a given period.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
You could always dive with them a statistically significant number of times and count how many accidents you have. You could then statistically infer how many accidents they probably had in the past over a given period.

:D :D

I'm not sure that was the answer Jason was expecting to get.

It would be hard enough to get in this country, in Mexico (I assume that's what you're thinking?) it will be completely impossible. I suppose you could try bribing the local cops?

WW

Well, personally, I think thats something that should be readibly available. As divers, shouldnt we have the right to know the past history of the dive shop?

Although, my safety really depends on myself and my buddy so no dive guide can really put me in harm..unless they try and lead me into a cave or something.

Right? RIGHT?

By the way Mike..if you want to pay for me to stay down there and do about a 1000 dives, I would be more than happy too. I'll even check in once a week with how many times I have been to the chamber. :)

jepuskar once bubbled...

By the way Mike..if you want to pay for me to stay down there and do about a 1000 dives, I would be more than happy too. I'll even check in once a week with how many times I have been to the chamber. :)

you'll need a buddy, and if Mike is paying... can I go too???

accident reports are probably something the LDS wants to keep quiet. Would you dive with someone who had 5 accidents a year? 2? even though you want to know, they won't want to tell you.

jepuskar once bubbled...
Well, personally, I think thats something that should be readibly available. As divers, shouldnt we have the right to know the past history of the dive shop?

Although, my safety really depends on myself and my buddy so no dive guide can really put me in harm..unless they try and lead me into a cave or something.

Right? RIGHT?

The problem with making it available to the public is that you have to determine fault first or the operator could go after you for telling people the operator had an accident when it was the fault of the diver and not the shop. So in order to protect themselves no one will release that information.

It is a little like being fired from a job. If a company calls a previous employer of a potential new hire the company that fired the potential new hire will only tell the new company that they did work there for "x" long. They usually won't release why you left in order to avoid law suits.

Chad

Any PADI member in this country (don't know about others) is required to fill out an incident report anytime there is injury, illness or whatever that interupts dive activities. The purpose is to document an good as possible what happened and who saw it incase something comes of it down the road. To pit this into perspective, if a diver drops a weight on their own toe and changes diving plans because of it I file an incident report with both the agency and the insurance company. These report are not available to the bublic and the number of reports doesn't mean anything without being able to read the entire thing anyway. Aside from this there isn't anyone documenting this stuff that I know of.

What kinds of things can a dive boat do to get you into trouble?

They can leave without you. Make sure whoever you go out with has a diver accounting system and uses it.

They can take you to sites that are beyond your abilities. Make sure you get a good (include the info you need to make a go/nogo decission) briefing and make good decissions for yourself.

They could give you bad air (I guess) Ask to see their air test data and look at the compressor. Make sure there are filters.

Ask about the crews qualifications. In this country a captain has to be a captain. Elsewhere? Find out if the DM is a DM or if he is just the Captains brother inlaw.

Make sure they have the right emergency equipment O2, radio, first aid supplies ect. Make sure the crew is trained in it's use.

Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom