What type of line to use on my speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SgtSlaughter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have used a pole spear for the last 20 years. I have recently gotten into scuba and want to get out there and get some big fish.

My question is what type of line to use for my speargun. I have an older sea hornet 48". I have looked at the old line thats on there now and new high test mono line and reels. I know the pros use free shaft, but I can afford to loose those dang expensive spears...

Any help and knowledge is appreciated.

Check out Riffe Spearguns site. They sell the line. I'm going to replace one that got severly chaffed Saturday (a jack pulled it down around a coral head and almost cut it in half) and try 300 lb test monofilament. You'll need crimps too but you can get all that from Riffe.

I have a spearfishing specialties 48" sea hornet with speed load line kit. If your gun has the prong that drops below the trigger guard you should be able to use the speed load kit on your gun. It takes only seconds to load the gun. You can find the kits HERE.They also have reels from the sea hornet company. You should also be able to purchase them at any dive shop that sells spearfishing specialties spearguns.

... too much memory.....,

I freeshaft mostly, but my side shaft is rigged with a 400 stiff mono line. I like the memory because on reloading, the double wrap, speed loader lines seem to stay together and lock into the load points easier and faster.

But I also see your side and the permanantly bent line reduces distance and probably slows the shaft down on longer shots since the kinks can get hung up on each other and possible ruining your shot so you want more flexibility.

Speed versus flexibility, the nemesis of every gun manufacturer.

p.s. I have no experience with a reel so no help there.

You can get spears for 25-35 bucks. And you won't lose a gun to any large fish. And there are many more advantages to freeshafting...mainly more FISH.:m16:

I can see the acuracy increase by free shafting, but how much more range do you get?

I freeshaft mostly, but my side shaft is rigged with a 400 stiff mono line. I like the memory because on reloading, the double wrap, speed loader lines seem to stay together and lock into the load points easier and faster.

I freedive mostly, and with the fish and conditions I shoot freeshafting is simply impractical. All my guns (with the exception of my scuba "hole gun"- Riffe C1) are rigged with breakaways or reels so I've always thought of memory as a bad thing until you pointed out a clear advantage.

Here's some 400 lb. black mono I tried from Spearit Co. on ebay:
eBay Store - Spearit-Company: 9 16 14mm, SHOCKCORDS LINE, 5 8 16mm
It's a great deal for the price, and it's good line, but I didn't like it because it has lots of memory. Sounds like it would work well with the speed loader if memory is a good thing.
Regards,
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom