Ice Diving-December/Wasilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveAK

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im coming home for Christmas and want to get an Ice dive in. Ill say straight off, ive never ice dove before, but I am a tech/cave diver with about 200 tech/cave dives in the past two years, so im not new to the game. Does anyone have a favorite site they like to dive in the winter? I was thinking Finger Lake out in Wasilla. Its where I live and im sure I can get my dad and friends to go ice fishing and help me out.

Id love to experience ice diving, and if anyone would like to join then please let me know!

Andrew Kowalczk

Andrew,
I would recommend taking an ice-diving course first. I understand that you're an experienced cave diver but ice diving is not cave diving. Sure you could put it in the same category as cave diving or overhead diving but it has it's own set of considerations. To do it safely, you'll need the appropriate equipment including an independent alternate air source, harnesses with steel rings, ropes of various lengths issued to the divers and the safety divers accordingly, and you'll want an experienced team, including line tenders, safety divers, and a good dive buddy. You'll also want to setup the dive site correctly by shoveling lines with arrows which point to the hole in case you need to get back without the ropes. You should also understand what the safety divers will do in the event you get untethered so it makes it easier for them to find you. You will also want to make sure you and your line tenders are all on the same page with signals. Ice diving is not something that should be taken lightly. Get the proper training and most importantly, be safe!!! And don't forget the hot chili!
Fred

Thanks Fred. Im not taking it lightly, but thanks for all the info! I will look into an ice diving course, I would actually prefer that while im up there.
Is the hot chili for before or after the dive? Before it might add some extra warm inflation:)

for what it is worth, the diveshop in fairbanks, tests the waters, offers an ice diving course. wanted to take it a few years back, just couldn't work out the logistics before the ice melted. they pretty much schedule them around people's interest as I recall.

I'd be interested in an ice diving course - but not if it involves driving to Fairbanks. Wasilla is about my outer limit in the winter.

diveAK: you might see if Dive Alaska offers an ice diving course (they're into the real technical stuff). If you manage to cook up something involving two or more dives for $250 or less (these guys do it for $225: http://www.sentryscuba.com/Sentry_Ice_Diver_Course.html - I found a number of such ops. These guys do it for $180: http://www.elmar.com/ice.html), I could be interested. Might know someone else who could be interested too. PM me if you end up with anything :)

Last edited:
I might be able to teach in December. I would be down for some ice diving. Being that you are from Florida, we probably have a few friends in common. I spent a few years gaining familiarity in your neck of the woods.Who was your cave instructor?

Gregg Stanton for Cave, and Jason Ottinger for Trimix.

I got a reply back from Scott at divealaska.net, and he said he would teach it for $475/ person (a bit pricey) but its the only one whos replied back.

FWIW, $475 is a whole lot more than I'm willing to pay at the moment, esp. given the rates I've found with other operators (see previous message).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom