Wear My Rolex Sea Dweller to Roatan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rboyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all I am taking a trip to Roatan next March and just was able to buy my very first Rolex. Its the Sea Dweller w/ the helium escape valve (Like I am going to dive that deep but anyway) Has anyone els wore there Rolexes to Roatan and had any problem? I don't plan on taking it off my wrist while im there but was just wondering what everyones thoughts were.......Thanks

I personally would wear it without thinking twice. True its a lot of money but that's what it was made to do. Just rinse and turn that bezel every night in clean water. If you are worried about theft/crime then I cant say as I have not been to Roatan.... yet. I think you will get a broad range of answers as some people would not wear a Rolex walking downtown in a major city.
Wear=risk.

I'll be weaing my Folex to Roatan in a few weeks I will let you know if there is anything to worry about when I get back.

I guess the question is, what are you worried about. I have a Rolex. I wear it all the time. I never think about the fact I'm wearing a couple of thousands of dollars on my wrist. It was the only self-winding, waterproof, built like a tank, watch I could find (went through 36 watches by the time I was 22).

I think maybe twice in the past 20+ years I've had someone go, "Is that a Rolex?" I don't know if most people don't notice or they just assume it is a knock off.

Just treat it like a watch and don't think about the fact that it cost a lot of money. I'm guessing the only people who will notice you have a Rolex are people just like you who some day will own their own Rolex.

At first I read this thread and said no way don't wear it. But last time I took off my nice piece of jewelry instead of diving with it I never saw it again. WEAR IT!!

Goodbye cool pirate chain :depressed:
printme8.jpg

I think he may be concerned with theft. A Rolex or other similar high profile watch is like writing "rob me" on your forehead.

But, if it gets stolen then you can get a DOXA so wear it.

N

If you're staying in the better areas, I don't think it's a problem. That includes any of the resort areas, the West End, West Bay and likely most of downtown (only there doing the day so I can't confirm it)

If you visit the not so nice areas by mistake, the nice uniformed man nearby with the submachine gun will likely see that it stays on your wrist.

From what I've heard the mainland is where most of the crime is anyway.

I didnt figure it would be a super big deal I was just wondering if customs have ever gave anyone any problems.....I have been to Roatan 2 times now and I really like it there but i have never brought anything in to the country that was that expensive........I feel better now that I have heard a few ppl say go ahead and wear it!

I was just wondering if customs have ever gave anyone any problems
Customs might care--if you have four or five of them on that you might be planning to sell--but customs officials everywhere are generally unconcerned with the personal belongings that visitors take back home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom