Computer or Bottom Timer? Which is better for tech diving?

Computer or Bottom Timer for Tech Diving?

• Yes, use a computer (or 2)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • No, use a bottom timer (or 2)

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • One of each

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
OK, lets have some fun...lets see how the vote comes off on the above topic - to use COMPUTERS or BOTTOM TIMERS?

I take both..... You never know when you will need a backup:wacko:

Okay, since I use one of the brand new Vytec ... bottom timers, how would I vote?

~<//><

Since I'm nowhere near doing any kinda of deco diving. And I'm in no need to cut tables and the like.

Doesn't it make more sense for someone like me. Looking to, in the future get into deco diving use a good quality computer? SAy like the Suunto Vyper or Vytec?

Then when I get more advance switch to gauge mode, buy a Bottom Timer and then I have my primary and back up?

Also I have a question for those of you using only bottm timers. Do you switch back to a computer if your doing shallower no deco dives? Or do you just keep using using tables?

I'd liek some advise on this. Help from the board in going the best route to deco diving.

Thanx
Joey

taat2d once bubbled...
Since I'm nowhere near doing any kinda of deco diving. And I'm in no need to cut tables and the like.

Doesn't it make more sense for someone like me. Looking to, in the future get into deco diving use a good quality computer? SAy like the Suunto Vyper or Vytec?

Then when I get more advance switch to gauge mode, buy a Bottom Timer and then I have my primary and back up?

Also I have a question for those of you using only bottm timers. Do you switch back to a computer if your doing shallower no deco dives? Or do you just keep using using tables?

I'd liek some advise on this. Help from the board in going the best route to deco diving.

Thanx
Joey

Joey that's the logic that led me to buying a Vytec, but if you want the "truth" as I know it now, it really doesn't hold water. A great bottom timer costs maybe $140 new - the extra costs of getting a high-quality wireless computer is a lot more than $140.

Then again, I like my Vytec (even in Gauge mode) so IF you can afford the difference without taking money away from other gear you may want to go for it. However, if getting a great computer so that one day it can double as your bottom timer keeps you from buying say a good canister light, you probably haven't made the best decision.

Just my 2 cents worth

~<//><

P.S. One real option you could consider is something like the Vytec but without the AI transmitter. You'll save ~ $250 (since you really should get an SPG anyway) and still have the benefits of a sophisticated computer that can double as your gauge.

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...

Joey that's the logic that led me to buying a Vytec, but if you want the "truth" as I know it now, it really doesn't hold water. A great bottom timer costs maybe $140 new - the extra costs of getting a high-quality wireless computer is a lot more than $140.

Then again, I like my Vytec (even in Gauge mode) so IF you can afford the difference without taking money away from other gear you may want to go for it. However, if getting a great computer so that one day it can double as your bottom timer keeps you from buying say a good canister light, you probably haven't made the best decision.

Just my 2 cents worth

~<//><

P.S. One real option you could consider is something like the Vytec but without the AI transmitter. You'll save ~ $250 (since you really should get an SPG anyway) and still have the benefits of a sophisticated computer that can double as your gauge.

Ok I was thinking more along the like of the Vyper. LP sells the Vyper for $299. I just bought a Dive Rite SPG. And I am in the process of Ebaying my computer console. I also just picked a Dive Rite Wreck1 w/MR11 head.:D

Can't wait to try it out.

it seems to me that you got the best of both worlds having the computer AND be able to switch it to gauge mode. Or am I still not getting it? I'm not sure. It's late and I'm tired and may need this all explained to me very very slowly. LOL:wink:

I'm currently using a Cobra. I think I've decided to go with a Vyper and just put it into guage mode. The reason being is that I like the logging feature, and since I've already established my logbook with the Cobra, the Vyper means I won't have to switch programs and decide if I want to migrate dives over...

But then I start thinking of the Vytec and it's 3 gas switching capability... A part or me wants to do it the tried and true way of cutting tables, etc. and the other part of me would just like the option of diving a 3 gas computer if I desire.

But then there's the price difference...

taat2d once bubbled...

it seems to me that you got the best of both worlds having the computer AND be able to switch it to gauge mode. Or am I still not getting it? I'm not sure. It's late and I'm tired and may need this all explained to me very very slowly. LOL:wink:

No, I think you're right - if finances aren't an issue - I'd say having a great bottom timer that doubles as a computer :)D ) has it's advantages. For us Newbie’s, one of the best is the Log that we can download. However, as I've said before, the danger is cheating ... computers can make it awful darn easy to turn off your brain when diving - and that's a recipe for disaster.

~<//><

P.S. Sounds like you're in for some fun!

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...

No, I think you're right - if finances aren't an issue - I'd say having a great bottom timer that doubles as a computer :)D ) has it's advantages. For us Newbie’s, one of the best is the Log that we can download.

Believe me I'm a newbie too. And I'm trying to save myself money for the long haul. Since finding this board and talking to all you nice knowledgable people I have learned soooooo much. I have alos been rethinking and reconfiguring my gear, trying to look to my future in diving and the direction I want it to go. Scoobie can tell you, between the both of us our gear has changed alot over the last month or so, and or ideas and goals with diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom