Marsa Alam on April/ May 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kkfok

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I am planning my next diving trip on April or early May of next year. Is April or May the right season for Hammerhead or Oceanic Whitetip in Elphinstone? I really want to see more "big stuff" in this coming trip.
I have never been diving in the Red Sea but I have been diving in some places in Asia such as Palau, Sipdan, Sangalaki, Bali, Maldives and Manado. How does the diving in Marsa Alam compare with that in Palau? Thanks.:wink:

You'll probably be out of luck for the oceanics at Elphinstone, if they even deem to show up it tends to be October/November/December (which is why I am out there in November - fingers crossed!), and to be honest, since it opened up to dayboats, I have seen a huge drop in the number of general sharks, including hammerheads and silvertips, all of which used to be pretty regular finds off the plateaux.

The reefs itself, and the walls, and the coral growth, are still spectacular, and it is still one of the best day dives out of Marsa, I just remember the halycon days when it was the domain of liveaboards alone and it really rocked.

If you are expecting huge amounts of pelagic action out of Marsa land-based, you could be disappointed. However, if you are doing a liveaboard and get out to the Brothers and Daedalous, then you have a good chance of hammers, threshers, grey reef, etc.

Mark

our group dove elphinstone, the brothers, and daedalous(aboard the mv hurricane)("simply the best" intinerary) this past july. we had terrific oceanic whitetip encounters @ both elphinstone and daedalous. hammerheads @ daedalous and threshers @ big brother and daedalous. i agree with the above post, liveaboards provide the best opportunity to observe pelagics in the southern red sea,,,

reefman
key largo

Heh Reefman, well done on getting oceanics at Elphinstone in July, a rare occurrence that time of year.

Were you out with Steve Frink? I know he was taking a group Deep South, as I had a group of American friends out with me a week before doing the northern wrecks (they all want to come back and do Simply the Best next year, so we've scheduled for early October). The twin articles appeared (will appear, dunno which issue) in Scuba Diving.

Mark

Thanks very much for all your inputs. Seems that Apr/May is not the right time for Oceanic Whitetip.
How about hammerheads, need a lot of luck, right? I really want to do it LOB but as my wife is prone to sea sickness, so it is not an option for me.
By the way, is there any recommendation for hotels in Marsa Alam? I would like it to have a private beach and a housereef for snorkeling. Many Thanks.

yes mark, i was aboard the mv hurricane with frink. the divemasters said our oceanic encounters @ elphinstone were unusual for july. we had 2 oceanics swimming around our boat for nearly 30 minutes with a day boat(25+ snorkelers and divers) tied up next to us. the sharks appeared unfazed with all the human activity. here's a pic of me @ elphinstone,,,,

Digital Immersions: Yum Yum Yellow

reefman(phil)
key largo

Hi Phil,

Nice photograph! Yes, you were very lucky seeing oceanics in July, and to have them settle around the boat. Great! Every time I see the blighters they are always really skittish – fingers crossed for my November trip!

I'll catch up with Steve Frink at DEMA and see what he thought of the Brothers, etc, as he hadn't been out to Egypt for a few years and was looking forward to his trip when I spoke to him last year in Orlando.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom