Trek Wing for single tank diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plclark196

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have and love my Trek Wing for doubles diving (steel LP85's). I'm 6'2" and the wing works fine for me although all my diving friends seem to think they need a Classic.
I have tried on a couple of occasions to use the Trek for single tank diving and on both occasions was unhappy. It seemed that the wing would literally wrap around the tank ( I was using the gusset control) when in a horizontal position...making it difficult to impossible to locate the lower dump valve and also making good trim a bit difficult as the air seemed to be in pockets more to one side or the other . Air dumping in general was poor.
I was using an aluminum backplate with a single tank adaptor. I have a TransPak but it would appear that it would have the same the same issues as in both cases the wing would wrap around the tank.
I've kinda come to the conclusion that more traditional bc's are much better than wings for single tank diving.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've kinda come to the conclusion that more traditional bc's are much better than wings for single tank diving.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi plclark196,

Have a look at our BLOG that talks about the retainer system, if your Trek wing has the necessary tabs on it, this could be the answer to your problems.

Another option would be to get a smaller wing for single tank diving, such as a Venture or a Travel, as these are designed specifically to be used with single tanks only.
Check out our Solution Finder under the question 'Which Dive Rite wing should I get?' as this might help you understand the different characteristics of each wing and which one suits your needs the best.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Best,
Ag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom