Citizen Hyper Aqualand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcostanza

Reaction score
# of dives
Good evening.

At the risk of sounding like the familiar clique'..."Doctor I have this friend that has this problem..." this request really is for someone else. My brother has the following dive watch (Citizen Hyper Aqualand) which came with the downloader. Just came from his house where he has been attempting to download his recent Florida dives, with no success.

For those familiar with this watch/downloader... When he goes to download the data he gets an error mesage "Data error". This is after it initiates "Com 1" and just hangs there for a few seconds before the error message. He has version 2 of the software. He is also running the "most wonderful of operating systems" Windows XP (heavy sarcasm intended!!!).

Has anyone else had similar problems with the downloader? If so, how did you correct the issue? We are not sure if it is XP causing the angst, the software for the downloader, or a combination of the two.

Thank you for your time on "his" request...

Best Regards
Don

A friend of mine has the same watch. He also had the same problem. WE uninstalled the sfotware a zillion times and reloaded it a zillion more.

Still it didn't work. Then I tried to install in on my computer. His is older, we thought that had something to do with it. Still go good.

Then we took it back to the store where he got it. It just so happened that the Citizen rep was at the store. He said sometimes the interfaces are bad. Sure enough that's what is was.

Tell your bro to bring it back and exchange it. The only problem is that he's gonna have to send EVERYTHING back. Including the watch and he's gonna unfortunatly lose his dives.

I have this very same watch, and love it, although the first time I tried to down load, I had problems, but evidently I was using the wrong cable to attach the com-unit to the pc, but after a trip to Radio Shack and got a RS-232C, maleDB25 to femaleDB9 (grounded & double shielded) and then it worked great, although I would'nt know if this configuration would work with your pc??? But from personal experience, this would be my first ???
My next question would be, did all your dives record OK? as I've had this problem also, that for some reason I had an error during a dive and this created a problem when downloading.
I also know that the connections between the watch & com-unit are very sensitive, and must be very clean & dry, w/ a solid connection. To be honest with you I obviously don't have a guaranteed solution, but these are just some thoughts you may troubleshoot. Also in the back of your warranty booklet is a list of service centers worldwide, if you haven't already, you may check for the toll-free no.# in your area, they may be able to help?

I wish your friend well, as it's a great watch, and I personally prefer it's dive data, for ease and info, than my dive computer.

BTW, I also have windows XP (sarcasm noted)
Good Luck!

KZMAN and taat2d

Thank you for your prompt replies. I have forwarded your comments to my little bro' and I could almost hear the groan over the phone when I conveyed your info.

"We" appreciate your help...

Best Regards
Don

KZ, thank you also. I have had my hyperaqualand for 7 years and now that I am finally diving, have had the same problem with my downloading. NOW, I will run out and pick up that cable and see if it works.

I will let you know.

SMKChef once bubbled...
KZ, thank you also. I have had my hyperaqualand for 7 years and now that I am finally diving, have had the same problem with my downloading. NOW, I will run out and pick up that cable and see if it works.

I will let you know.

Hey SMKChef, I hope that this my help and work for you. Just another thought.... My watch is only about a year old, and my understanding, (from other owners) is the older models, came with a different (version #1) download disc, that had some problems, and was not as good(?) as their newer version. They have all said that they obtained the newer version, and was much happier. I assume that they may have got them from Citizen, or their watch dealer. Thought I'd share this, although I personally have not had to experience it.
Good Luck! and let me know how it go's

I have the exact same setup and recently downloaded all of my dive iinfo with no problems.

However, I do have the latest Aqualand software version (V2.1), that I downloaded from the website.

You may want to check the cable that you are using. If you download unit has a 25pin as mine does and your computer a 9 pin serial port, make sure that you have a 25pin to 9pin modem cable to guarantee the proper pin connections.

Hope that helps, good luck

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

I have the same watch, ver 2.0 and Windows XP. I too would look to the cable/clean connection or the com port config for the issue. Experiment first by going to " Options" then "data receive" then the Ports selection button. Experiment to see if it is hitting com 2 or 3 etc.

Also make sure the watch is in the "transmit" mode. It willl be obvious when it works. It will beep & the software shows progress.

Anyway, My first guess is the com port.

Good luck

Had the same problem when I went to XP. Found Citizen's website has software download that mentions in the documentation that the old software version will not work on XP. Try this url:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/us/technical/aqualand/aqualand.html

Also, when I was using my Win/95/98/98SE machine, I found that the parallel port on my machine had several settings, accessed from the bios level (at startup, before the Windows start-up screen comes up). Changing mine from one setting to another made the watch downloader work, but didn't affect the printer when I hooked it back up.

Hope this helps

OK guys: what worked for you? I got my watch 1996 and it was down-loading fine then. Didn't dive for the last 8 years, and now diving again. Computer's have changed a bit, and this ones on Win2000Pro.

I am using correct cable, correct port and transfer setting. Get message <error: failed to transfer data> every time. Have e-mailed Citizen but no reply as yet.

Back
Top Bottom