Cobra 2/Vyper 2 Dive Logbook Retention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chewie07

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hopefully this will help some of you as well. This weekend I did 7 dives, 4 on saturday, 3 on Sunday. When I got back on Monday and wanted to transfer all my dives into SDM, only the last 4 dives were avaialble for download (and for review on the dive computer itself).

So, after looking in the manual, it states that the Cobra 2 can store 42 hours of dive time. Which is not entirely the truth. Here is the information I received from Suunto:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Suunto.

The Cobra2 memory capacity is around 42 hours if the sample rate is set to 20 seconds. Setting the sample rate to 10 seconds will half the memory capacity to around 21 hours and setting the sample rate to 1 second will result in a memory capacity of around 2-4 hours.

With Best Regards,
Suunto Helpdesk

So my Cobra 2 was set to a sampling rate of 1s (no idea why I did that!). But at least now I know the dive log capacities at different sampling rates.

Enjoy!

But at least now I know the dive log capacities at different sampling rates.
Well, this makes sense if you think about it.

The computer has X amount of memory.

A 10s interval creates twice as much data as a 20s interval.

A 1s interval creates 20 times as much data as a 20s interval.

All that extra data is going to fill up the memory faster.

Can't get something for nothing. Second law of thermodynamics tells me so :)

Back
Top Bottom