Big things in Dahab?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartinNorway78

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I am off again :)

Leaving for Dahab on Tuesday, as this is my 4th visit this year, I trying to find something special, or dive some exploration-diving. I would really appriciate if some of you guys working there, or others with many dives down there, could tell me where to go to be able to see some big-fish.

My plan was to drop off Bells and follow the wall towards Blue hole at around 40 meters, and gradually ascend following the no-deco times (on air). I would like to try this at both sides of the blue hole. "North" and "South" of the entrance... maybee best to do this early morning, around 6 o'clock?

Are there other divesites that one can go deep to see if one is lucky to see sharks or other biggies? Gabr el Bint??

I dont mind risking the dive to be "blown away" by seeing nothing but empty blue... its worth it and makes it exciting...

When you have seen big things over there, where have you been lately??

Cool I was planning on doing the caves, did umm sid a couple of weeks ago.. alot of dead coral there... hope its not too choppy as the sites in that area i difficult to get at then...

so you would just go deep there early in the morning to check it out?
What are your thoughts about going deep along blue hole (from Bells) early in the morning?? could it be a slight chance to se something there u think? isnt it like 1000meters deep outside there? or is the water to warm now?

Yes just go like 35 meters on the main sandy slop then head north along the reef wall (towards Umm Sid) and watch the blue on your right hand side. Timing depends on low/high tide.

The depth at El Bells is 1860 meters. However, I don't think you'll find something there. Be aware the going deep through the Bells might cause faster narcosis because of the usual high descent rate and the "somehow" unusual all-blue color. If you're doing it, then try the left side of the Bells (towards Abu Galoum) for 10 minutes or so but keep in mind that your exit is the Blue Hole so you'll have to go all the way back. Plan your dive accordingly.

Some biggies were spotted in the Caves dive site.

In April 2005, we spotted what we believe is a tiger shark. Last week some friends were diving with dolphins.

Several years ago we used to have sharks and rays in Sheheera but not any more.

Just got back, saw a 6-7 ft Silver Tip at Gabr el Bint - saw (him/her) at same place twice :D Also some wicked turtles and a Feathertail Ray.
Ditto some pals swam with Dolphins and had their (video) camera with them. Awesome video

A few weeks back a group of friends whilst out at Tiran Island managed to dive with Hammerheads

How cool is that - ditto they have some great videos and piccies..:cool2:

Back out in 3 weeks :cool2:

Have fun :bounce3:

Shadow: Yeah I know what u mean... I was also thinking about doing it (right) south... and def. caves. Planning a day trip to Tiran, just to increase my chances a bit too :)

And yeah: LordM: Lucky you! I was at Gabr el Bint some weeks ago and saw nothing :(
guess it was due to the lack of current...

And yeah: LordM: Lucky you! I was at Gabr el Bint some weeks ago and saw nothing :(
guess it was due to the lack of current...

That was it exactly, I think, that day there was a current that the shark (now called Apollo -another story) :wink: was enjoying..

Hmmmm you got me wondering there... shall I opt for Gabr el bint once more, and give it a shot, or try to get down to Tiran..... it will be hard to do both in just one week, a friend coming along is doing his OW and I want to guide him on OW 3 and 4 aswell.... hmmm....double hmmm!!

a 7 feet silver-tip?? That would be insane! I have never seen one of those, where was it?
Deep along the wall in the beginning, or at the end where u turn against the lagoon?
And when was this? Do you have the log-data?

Today's date 29th September 2008.
Two days ago we had 26 hammerheads at the back of Jackson reef in Tiran on the same dive an Oceanic White tip.
Four or five days before that - sailfish just south of Caves
A 40 minute swim with dolphins around the Southern Oasis about a week ago too.
Whale Shark 2 weeks ago at Gabr el Bint.
Its strange because all of these things are very late in the year.
The hammerheads were an anomaly. The water was like a millpond - very flat - and no wind.

The tigers that you were talking about were in Sharm for 3 weeks.
I swam with them and have video of them when they were there. Others have better, longer footage that Nat Geo was interested in.
Scared the beeejeezus out of me.

Deep is not necessarily any guarantee of anything.
Its all luck.

Whale shark 2 weeks ago at Gabr El bint? *******K !"#¤%&/()=?!!!
I was there sep 8th and did two dives! Thst the 5th whale shark I have missed by days, or hours!
ARRRGHHHH , but thanks for telling anyway :)o

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom