Suunto D6, D9 or Uwatec Galileo Sol??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iain.keen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at getting either the Suunto D6, D9 or Uwatec Galileo SOL, can anyone help me decide?? I am not to concerned about the air integration, although it would be a nice feature to have, hence the thought of the D6. I have heard the the compass on the Suunto's is not very good and the SOL compass is better. Has anyone compared them both?? The bulk of the SOL is putting me off slightly too. Does it get in the way?? I currently have the old favorite Gekko, which is quite large in size and i always said by next computer would be a smaller. I like the style of the Suunto's but the features of the SOL.
Any thoughts??

Absolutely love my D6. If I could have afforded the D9 (with wireless AI), I probably would have gotten it. D6/D9: Great size, looks great, easy to operate.

Thanx. Am thinking of getting the D9 without the transmitter and saving u for it later. Does the compass work well on your D6?? Ands is there a stopwatch function in the dive mode??

Have you considered the Uwatec Galileo Terra? It's basically the same as the SOL, but without air integration, and the heart monitor isn't included (but can be added). I don't have either, but it's something to consider.

If cost were not an issue, I would get the SOL. I have an Oceanic VT3, and I find the large display nice.

Have you considered the Uwatec Galileo Terra? It's basically the same as the SOL, but without air integration, and the heart monitor isn't included (but can be added). I don't have either, but it's something to consider.

If cost were not an issue, I would get the SOL. I have an Oceanic VT3, and I find the large display nice.
I looked at the Terra, but if i get a computer that big i think i would rather have the air integration. I think the compass accuracy is the thing that is leaning me to the SOL. I do like the idea of a nice big display, but have been told the Suunto's have a very clear display too.

If you're going to wear your Gekko as a backup computer, then the Suunto D6/D9 would be a close match, as the algorithms will be very close.
I have a new D6, but still use my console Cressi Archimedes II as a backup on every dive. They track almost perfectly. I've only used the D6 on 25 Nitrox dives so far, but the no decompression time between it and the Cressi are within a couple of minutes of each other. So I can be confident in the backup computer without constantly checking it so it doesn't go into a decompression dive.

As far as the compass goes, to be honest I havent bothered with it other than play a couple of times. I find it easier to use my Cressi analogue one on the otherside of my Cressi console. The one on the D6 works, but I prefer the analogue one.

My wife has a D4, so If you find you really don't need the electronic compass, it may be worth looking at the cheaper D4. It has a couple of display pluses over the D6/D9. Both are excellent!

I've had a D6, now got a D9, and I've got a Sol as well. Use the D9 as back-up to the Sol (put it on 50% RGBM and it is within a couple of minutes of the Sol).

The compass on the Sol is much better than the ones on the D6/D9, and while the displays are nice and clear on the Suuntos, the Sol is much bigger and has more info. In crappy vis and cold water (i.e. the UK!), I like the Sol as it is easy to read and the big buttons on the top can be operated while wearing thick gloves, the buttons on the D6/D9 are a bit fiddly with 5mm neoprene gloves on. Not an issue where you are at the moment, but worth bearing in mind.

I like all the comps, but the Sol rocks!

Mark

Does anyone have experience of using the wireless air guage on the D9?

I was thinking about getting one, but am worried it might be flakey.

I've had a D6, now got a D9, and I've got a Sol as well. Use the D9 as back-up to the Sol (put it on 50% RGBM and it is within a couple of minutes of the Sol).

The compass on the Sol is much better than the ones on the D6/D9, and while the displays are nice and clear on the Suuntos, the Sol is much bigger and has more info. In crappy vis and cold water (i.e. the UK!), I like the Sol as it is easy to read and the big buttons on the top can be operated while wearing thick gloves, the buttons on the D6/D9 are a bit fiddly with 5mm neoprene gloves on. Not an issue where you are at the moment, but worth bearing in mind.

I like all the comps, but the Sol rocks!

Mark
Thanks Mark that helps a lot. I think i will b going for the SOL. Do u have any problems with the air integration on the SOL??

Back
Top Bottom