Reg questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a question.
I was under the impression that the Oceanic Eos is the same as the Hollis DC1. Is this true? They do not look the same in pictures. Some have said the Hollis is the more "tech" version, again what does that mean and is that true? Also, if there is a slight difference between the two, then what exactly is the difference? Finally, does anyone know what the difference between a Hollis DC1 and a Hollis DC2? Seems the first(1st) stages are different ... but how? Maybe it is me but the difference is not clear on the web site.

Finally, I am a bit concerned about buying a Hollis if it's a new brand and perhaps poorly supported around the world. I always come back to Scuba Pro, Oceanic or perhaps Atomic when it comes to top-of-the-line regs with good worldwide "penetration". Make me feel better about a decision to buy Hollis.

Thanks for the input...

Garv

I have a question.
I was under the impression that the Oceanic Eos is the same as the Hollis DC1. Is this true? They do not look the same in pictures. Some have said the Hollis is the more "tech" version, again what does that mean and is that true? Also, if there is a slight difference between the two, then what exactly is the difference? Finally, does anyone know what the difference between a Hollis DC1 and a Hollis DC2? Seems the first(1st) stages are different ... but how? Maybe it is me but the difference is not clear on the web site.

Finally, I am a bit concerned about buying a Hollis if it's a new brand and perhaps poorly supported around the world. I always come back to Scuba Pro, Oceanic or perhaps Atomic when it comes to top-of-the-line regs with good worldwide "penetration". Make me feel better about a decision to buy Hollis.

Thanks for the input...

Garv

Hi Garv,

The similarities between those two regs are in the 2nd stage. While the EOS and "212" (Hollis 2nd stage) are different cosmetically, the mechanics are almost identical.

That leads us to the 1st stages, which are all very different. Oceanic has the FDX-10 which not only has a very unique forged body design, but also carries with it their dry-valve technology or "DVT". We are shipping the 212 with the DC1, DC2 & DC3 first stages. The DC1 & DC3 are of a similar machined body, but have differences in port design: swivel port vs. fixed port. The DC2 is a forged body with a fixed port design also. The obvious advantage of swivel vs fixed is in the ease of hose routing especially for doubles. Really doesn't make it more or less "tech" since all of the above regulators are suitable for recreational & technical. All are diaphram first stages; either machined or forged from solid brass and chrome plated. All come in yoke and DIN (300 bar).

What makes us different from most is our manufacturing and testing. Our regulators are machined, assembled and tested in the USA, matter of fact in-house. Having full control over the materials and workplace helps us build a better product for the customer. We are approaching our second year as a company, but have a growing list of affiliate companies and distributors worldwide which carry Hollis and are set to support the products, parts and service.

Thanks for the questions.

Best Regards,

Thank you for your comprehensive and complete response. I am looking for my first reg. purchase in 15-20 years. I have a US Divers conself + Octo. I am looking for a reliable, easy to breath advanced reg. I dive 10 - 12 days per year and am considering advancing to EAN ( Nitrox) and wreck diving. I do not anticipate diving in cold water, at least nothing more than So. Cal temperate.

Which of your regs may be your best bet for me, in your opinion?

Thanks agin,
Garv

Hi Garv,

Any of the above mentioned regs would work great for your application. All are nitrox ready out of the box, and are suitable for anything from warm to deep cold water. My personal suggestion would be the new DC3/212. Same body as the DC1 which received perfect scores from Scubalab, but without the swivel turret which makes it more compact.

With regards to forged vs. machined, it explains the process in which the body was formed. Forging refers to the adding of material to a tool/die to press the body together; an example of this is the DC2. Machining on the other hand is the taking away of material from a solid bar or block to form the body, like on the DC1 & DC3.

Hope this helps.

I had it explained to me this way a while back and it helped me understand it a little better.

Think of Forging as working with pieces of clay. You can push multiple pieces of clay together and it can still essentially end up seamless. You don't necessarily start with all of your material.

Machining on the other hand is more like sculpting. You have a rock, piece of wood, whatever and you chip away pieces until you have the desired result. The finished product was originally all one piece.

There are debates about machined products lasting longer than forged (not in the scuba industry that I'm aware of) but to be honest it's all in the quality of the manufacturing and if a given company makes 2 products with one forged and one machined you can bet that the quality and durability of the 2 are comparable.

DC3 212 on web site? Where?

Garv

Hi Fred,

Just finished shooting the photography for our '09 catalog, which includes the new DC3. Updates should be added to the website by next week.

Until then, here is a quick view. These are shipping now.

DC3din_sm.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom