New set -up as I hit the Big 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have been diving a, what I would call, standard rig set-up for 20+ years. U.S. Divers Conshelf Reg. + Octopus, standard SPG/depth gauge and recently added wrist computer (Oceanic non-AI). The only addition to this "standard rig" is a 3 cu ft. Spare-Air. Now I do NOT want to belabor the pros and cons of a Spare-Air. I have read all the threads and I am asking for NO thoughts nor advice on that point. Finally, though I am an experienced diver, I am not a techi nor do I aspire to be one. I like good gear and adhere to the dictum that in life you generally get what you pay for.

I am about to embark on my first serious scuba gear buying spree in years and so I'm considering a more streamlined option. I am looking at the following: 1. Eliminating the Octo.. 2. Buying a new reg set, maybe a SP MK25/600 or Oceanic Eos or Atomic B1 3. Taking the Conshelf 1st Stage and Octo 2nd stage and placing it on a 6 or 13 cu ft tank to act as a pony/bail bottle. 4. Selling the Spare-Air 5. New B.C. with either Air 2 or Atomic SS1 6. Vytek Wrist computer w/transmitter for AI. Keep the Oceanic Computer as a backup.

That way I'd be down to 2 hoses, i.e.: 1. Regulator 2. B.C. Inflator

I'd still have an independent redundant air source. Yet I could provide air to a buddy by either the pony or Air 2/SS1. I would have significantly streamlined my hose situation too.

Thoughts? A final note: a dive buddy of mine expressed the thought that in a true out-of-air emergency, handing an AIR2 or Atomic SS1 to a terrified buddy may result in a disaster. He suggested the terrified victim may push the inflate button while struggling to get air from the integrated inflator/reg. and cause an out of control rapid accent as a result.

Thoughts???

Garvelous

When you use an integrated inflator/octopus, you donate the primary from your mouth, not the inflator.

A few thoughts...

1) Once you try a backplate & wing setup I don't think you would switch back to a jacket BC. Please consider this as an option.

2) Take a look at the Aqualung Legend Series. Nice performers

3) If you are going to go with the SSI or Air2 (which I don't recommend but that is another debate), consider making the length of your primary hose 5'. Should you need to donate, that extra length will give you just that much more room to maneuver and deal with the person and the situation.

4) I generally don't like air integrated computers with a transmitter. The 2 people that I have been with that have had them have told me that they have had intermittent problems with being able to keep a link between the transmitter and the computer. Plus, the transmitter seems to me to very susceptible to getting knocked or snapped off.

Just my thoughts...

Blister

A couple things:
1) For the pony go with at least a 13 or 19 cf bottle. The larger tank costs $10-20 more and will be worth it if you ever actually need to use it.
2) Consider a BP+W or at least a back inflate BC. For someone who is used to a more rec bc something like a Zeagle Stiletto might be perfect.
3) Consider getting a non AI computer.
4) If you want an Air2 you will want a 5ft hose on your primary.

My only concern with the inflator/Air2 is the potential loss of the 2ndary air source during a dive. By combining both the inflator and your 2ndary if either mechanism has a problem then you lose both as you must disconnect the air supply to preserve your tank air and the dive is over. Any real depth involved and this issue is compounded as your down to one air source (not including your buddy) to safely ascend and get back to where you started the dive from.

As already stated, you hand off the primary and breath through the integrated second. If you go to an integrated second you will have to practice emergency ascents since you now have to dump air off the same device you are breathing through. The longer hose is a good idea.

Personally I have used several different integrated seconds and think the SSI is far superior as a regulator to the Air Source or Air2

If you want to dive with an integrated hoseless wrist computer, you should have a backup. It does not have to be integrated but needs to give you depth and time. If your computer goes out, you need to be able to safely surface.

I agree with what others have said. I like my back inflated BC (Scubapro Ladyhawk) octo, wrist computer (Nitrox compatible - not air integrated), and back up computer in my bc pocket. If you can afford it, buy the Scubapro. It's very reliable gear.

You have posted some valid concerns and gotten some good information. Nice thread.

My only concern with the inflator/Air2 is the potential loss of the 2ndary air source during a dive. By combining both the inflator and your 2ndary if either mechanism has a problem then you lose both as you must disconnect the air supply to preserve your tank air and the dive is over. Any real depth involved and this issue is compounded as your down to one air source (not including your buddy) to safely ascend and get back to where you started the dive from.

I did not understand fully this response. If the Air2/SS1 fails, then I am out BOTH the inflator and Safe Second (SS) portion of my rig. I'll need to disconnect the unit from the B.C. and have no way to power inflate the B.C., but manual inflate will still work. The power inflate and potential use of the Reg. portion of the SS will be lost for the duration of the dive. This I get ( i.e. understand). But what does that have to do with me being down to one air source? As mentioned in my original post, I intend to have a 6 or 13 cu ft. pony too.

It sounds toe me like you're about to take a fully functional and well thought out diving system, and replace it with one that less capable, and more susceptible to failure. So let's look at the pieces.

1. Eliminating the octo. Bad choice in my view. What I have seen from many divers looking to 'streamline" is rather than examine how their current hose setup is laid out, they want to start getting rid of hoses. If you put the backup reg around your neck, and hand off the primary on a long hose, you'll become far more streamlines and retail all the advantages of having the separate hose and mechanism.

2. The SP Mk25 is an excellent first stage. But I'd look into a G250v before that S600 any day.

3. Sounds like a good plan.

4. Also sounds like a good idea.

5. Look at a BP/W. You're in Cali so give DSS a call. Leave the inflator backup regs alone and use a real reg. You'll be happier in the long run.

6. I wouldn't spend (waste) the money on AI computers. Keep your reliable SPG.

Just my thoughts. And probably worth exactly what you paid for them.

I am about to embark on my first serious scuba gear buying spree in years and so I'm considering a more streamlined option. I am looking at the following: 1. Eliminating the Octo.. 2. Buying a new reg set, maybe a SP MK25/600 or Oceanic Eos or Atomic B1 3. Taking the Conshelf 1st Stage and Octo 2nd stage and placing it on a 6 or 13 cu ft tank to act as a pony/bail bottle. 4. Selling the Spare-Air 5. New B.C. with either Air 2 or Atomic SS1 6. Vytek Wrist computer w/transmitter for AI. Keep the Oceanic Computer as a backup.

That way I'd be down to 2 hoses, i.e.: 1. Regulator 2. B.C. Inflator

Thoughts?

The Air2 is more appropriate for instructors who work with new students in relatively shallow environments. You cannot reasonably expect an Air2 to work very well at post-certification depths of 75 to 100 ft. It is a piece of crap.

Therefore I believe the Air2 idea is flawed.

The pony bottle is particularly beneficial for solo divers who do not want to trouble with twin tanks. I agree that a 6 cu ft is infinitely better than a SpareAir bottle, however I too would recommend at least a 12 cu ft for this. But unless you are diving solo, you should be able to rely on your buddy instead of dragging an extra bottle around with you.

Streamlining has nothing to do with getting rid of your "octo" hose. Streamlining is about having none of your hoses dangling or dragging, and reducing the snagging from hoses sticking out everywhere. You should always have an octo hose of some kind, even for your own benefit. In a real OOA emergency, it is likely that someone will grab your primary out of your mouth from you, and so you yourself will be reaching for and then breathing from your own octo.

Air integration with a dive computer is helpful to new divers, since it gives them info on their air consumption. If you are truly a novice, this might be nice for you. Otherwise, I would not pay attention nor pay the extra $$ for an A/I dive computer. It is really mostly a beginner's crutch.

Regarding a new B/C, if I were you, I would go visit Tobin at Deep Sea Supply in Pasadena, right in your own neck of the woods, and let him set you up with a weighted backplate and wing which he has designed for you. They come in small, med, and large. This would take some of your weight off your belt and move it to your back, and also improve your horizontal trim. Tobin is grumpy at times, but deep inside he is a really nice guy and an expert diver.

But if you really do not want a BPW, then Zeagle makes some pretty good back-inflation B/Cs, which are like a fabric-BP, very comfortable, and reliable. The Ranger is their premier model for all-around diving. It comes with a 45 lb wing, which is perfect for almost everything in cold or warm waters.

More salient than your gear choices is your advancing age of 50. For this, you need to understand that you should start diving much more conservatively now, since you are not a kid anymore, and your body is no longer as efficient as a kid's.

This means that if you are not yet using nitrox, you surely should start now.

And your first safety stop should be at 1/2 of the depth of your dive, then ascend very slowly from there, to your final safety stop at 15 ft. Each of these stops should be for at least a minute. And if you add additional safety stops between these, you would then be even better off.

Back
Top Bottom