Atom gauge mode problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jurichar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im sure this is something stupid im doing wrong, but i've got an Atom 2.0 that i've put ab 11 dives on. For some reason after i leave the water while im looking around at all the planning and history stuff i end up putting the computer in GUAGE mode? then when i try to take it back out i get to NORM and it just blinks "NORM" for like 5 seconds and then reverts back to Guage??? I've had this happen once on my first dive of the day and then again today right before the second dive?!?!?! how the heck do i make this stop happening...to be perfectly honest i do not anticipate a situation where i will need/use guage mode. Any fixes or insight as to what im doing wrong would be awesome!

thanks!

The blinking "NORM" mode is waiting for you to confirm the switch from the "GAUGE" mode, I think its the upper right button you push once to do the switch. Sorry, I dont have the ATOM anymore as my wife took it and she isnt here to ask which is the confirmation button.

i tried that and it just reverts back to "guage" after holding the upper right button. its almost like it is stuck in guage mode...but shouldnt be because i never got in the water in guage mode?!? i love this computer but...dang...and i thought i was good with electronics!

i tried that and it just reverts back to "guage" after holding the upper right button. its almost like it is stuck in guage mode...but shouldnt be because i never got in the water in guage mode?!? i love this computer but...dang...and i thought i was good with electronics!
I use a GEO as my backup to my VT3. And to change the GEO from NORM-->GAUG-->FREE or whichever. I have to press and hold the mode button (upper left) as it cycles through the modes until the mode I want shows up and begins to blink. Once that happens I release the mode button and then quickly press and release the mode button again (do not hold it in this time). After a second or two the mode stops blinking and I'm now locked into that mode. I believe your ATOM is done the same way.

Silly question but did you break out the manual?
I know, not the easiest read.

In dive mode, press and hold down upper left until it flashes Gauge, Norm or Free whichever you want then release and press and release the upper left again and it will save that mode until you change it again.

If you have already completed a dive and switch it into gauge or free mode and there is still time on the "time to fly" clock then it will remain in gauge mode until that clock ticks off time. I did this by accident once and I was really glad I was diving two computers because I just turned one into a depth gauge.

Silly question but did you break out the manual?
I know, not the easiest read.

In dive mode, press and hold down upper left until it flashes Gauge, Norm or Free whichever you want then release and press and release the upper left again and it will save that mode until you change it again.

If you have already completed a dive and switch it into gauge or free mode and there is still time on the "time to fly" clock then it will remain in gauge mode until that clock ticks off time. I did this by accident once and I was really glad I was diving two computers because I just turned one into a depth gauge.

Haha...i read that stupid manual twice now!!! no help at all...and your right. its a horrible read!

So if im reading you right here; if i complete a dive and get out of the water and "accidently" put it into guage mode (but still not get back into the water) then im stuck in guage mode for 24 hours! wow that sux. i've done it twice now and my buddy has done in once while fiddleing around trying to look at the dive log and plan mode. i wonder if there is a way to disable this?!??

Haha...i read that stupid manual twice now!!! no help at all...and your right. its a horrible read!

So if im reading you right here; if i complete a dive and get out of the water and "accidently" put it into guage mode (but still not get back into the water) then im stuck in guage mode for 24 hours! wow that sux. i've done it twice now and my buddy has done in once while fiddleing around trying to look at the dive log and plan mode. i wonder if there is a way to disable this?!??

That is my experience. I was at the surface, was trying to make some changes and a wave hit me and the watch went wet and then locked into Gauge Mode. I am not sure that is the intended design but it seems to be what happens. After 24 hours see if you can get back to NORM mode.

The only way to trigger the change in modes is to hold down the "M" button (upper left) for several seconds and there is no need so be very careful not to do it. Logs are all accessed via lower left buttons. and settings are all accessed via holding lower left and upper right together. I just avoid the 'M' button like the plague after I have set it to Norm and did a single dive.

The Manual says that it does not enter gauge mode until you have descended to 5 feet after selecting GAUGE. But I had it happen at the surface so there might be a glitch or a wave could artificially create a 5 foot depth in pressure change.

I also remember there being a way to turn off gauge mode but I think that was in the Atom 1.0.

hrm... mine got wet too when i was out of the water. Its pretty much impossible not to get it "wet" when your fingers are wet and your arm is wet; that pretty much triggers both contacts. I emailed Oceanic today and got basically nothing...except you cant turn off guage mode. I agree with you...there should be a 5 ft rule to prevent screwing up a complete dive weekend by accidently pushing one stupid button?!?! that is a HUUUGE design flaw if it is indeed true. Shame

Thanks for your help though....lesson learned. Dont push the mode button. I think im accidently doing it while trying to access the time from the dive mode. arrg :wink:

Back
Top Bottom