NW spear fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hunter Ricky

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:sharkattack:Are there any North Western Spear fisherman on this board?

Just wondering as I live in North Alabama and been Hunting the gulf when I can as its a 6 hour drive for me so I don't make it very often.

I may be getting relocated to Washington State early next year and live by the water.
I know they have a short season up there. Just wondering if any Northwestern spearfisherman are on this forum and how much spearfishting you do up there.

I think Oregon has a longer season?

Thanks
Ricky

Yes there is but we must be a rather quite bunch. Saw your post a few days ago just haven't had the chance to respond. Most of the Puget Sound is closed to the good fish (Ling Cod) for most of the year except for a very short season. But you can hunt perch and 3 kinds of flounder. Halibut is also a no no. Don't even think of shooting salmon. The water is very cold like in the lower 50's to upper 40's. I free dive and don't do too bad. Just watch the tide exchanges very closely we get a lot of very strong currents. If you're into taking pictures there are a lot of places to go. Ocean is always a good option for spearfishing anything west of the Seiku river is fair game. Lots of kelp beds, reefs and such. Again water is very cold the ocean wave surge can be bad at times or fun watch the tide exchanges or you risk being carried out to sea. Most places I spear at can be reached from shore alot more are by boat. Spearing is aloud by scuba as well I'm just too cheap to scuba.

Hunter, the game is, ling (25 days), cabby is alot longer and has alot of yeild per fish and taste as good as ling, Kelp greenling are not that bad of size either, this is in the puget sound area.

The coast area has a longer ling season.

The fun is the diving everywhere, different fish live on different bottoms, bottom fish are year round and smoke them as ya need a few to feed a few, take the ling carcaus and put in crab bait box, then freeze, put in crab trap at crab season, crab for free, nothing spent on bait.

Pneumatic guns are the best here as they reload quickly, band guns are ok also if you have or like them, I got the biggest powerful band gun and I think it is not that great, I have many guns and thought the band gun might of changed.

Small Inflatable small motor, and shore diving is the best way for spearfishing.

Happy Diving

Thanks for the post! 25 days is not too bad as I would be lucky to do that now because of the drive. Besides I can fly to Florida from there almost as fast as I can drive from here. Will try to hunt most of those days.
I have caught Ling up there and they are very good. I have several guns some are very good rock guns for the bottom.
Diving will be free as most of its shore diving in the NW so I will most likely dive more up there too.

When the seasons over then there is elk, deer, bear, pheasant, duck and goose etc....

Be lots to do and I have a bird dog in training now!

If you love to spear fish and would like to hook up I will be in the south sound area. Most likely will be moving somewhere around the Puyallup, Sumner, Yelm area.

:cheers:

Thanks Ricky

Hey VooDoo,

I see your from Whidbey Island?

My Dad and Step mom have a place there! I have been there before. They go there quite often and will retire there.

Ricky

Whidbey is current to the gill, a couple none current shore dives are around. Hunter getting a dive Kyak is a very simple way of spearfishing in current.

I solo dive all the time, I keep my mind clear for hunting and diving, I plan my dives around the tide. I go, comeback, clean fish, gear, boat, and go on with life so I spend very minimal time in order to get alot of diving in.

Theres good diving everywhere, spearfishing most places.

Happy Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom