Air Bleed Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WC46

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not getting any bubbles from my first stage air bleed valve. Is this a major concern?

Not getting any bubbles from my first stage air bleed valve. Is this a major concern?

Will work ok for a short while..but now water is contaminating internal parts of 1st stage..get annual overhaul done and alert tech to issue..99% sure that the piston will have to be replaced.. once they fail I have yet to see one work properly again.That part alone is about $30./$35.

Will work ok for a short while..but now water is contaminating internal parts of 1st stage..get annual overhaul done and alert tech to issue..99% sure that the piston will have to be replaced.. once they fail I have yet to see one work properly again.That part alone is about $30./$35.

The newer ones do not have the bleed in the piston but have an orifce cut into the body of the reg which can be cleaned out so the piston may or maynot need to be replaced depending on age. IMO, it's not a stop diving now problem but as soon as the dive is over it needs to go to the shop and let the tech know about the problem.

Sounds like to me that the restrictor screw built into the body of the reg is clogged and needs to be replaced. I have yet to see a reg with a dry air bleed problem result into a piston replacement

Ours are late model with the bleed plug (looks like a set-screw) in the body. Based on several failures there is a good chance that the check valve has kept the chambler clean and dry. However with the valve closed you have lost depth compensation and the regulator will breathe hard on deeper dives.

Pete

Sounds like to me that the restrictor screw built into the body of the reg is clogged and needs to be replaced. I have yet to see a reg with a dry air bleed problem result into a piston replacement

It depends on the age of the reg. Older Sherwoods do not have the restrictor in the body. Instead they used an air bypass built into the piston. If the bleed stops, the bypass in the piston is clogged and so the piston must be replaced because there is no good way to clean it.

yikes! dont tell me that the old sherwoods can possibly breakdown - i thought they were indestructable!

Sherwood Regulators are the most durable regs out there, but every regulator does need to be serviced once a year. It is like changing the oil in your car. It needs to be done on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom