Chester Polling - 1st dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lursxt

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys,
I'm thinking about diving the Chester Polling with CAD this weekend. I've never dove her before, so I'm wondering if I will need additional equipment such as a wreck reel or a pony bottle. What are your recommendations? About me: AOW this summer, 70 dives, all here on cape ann. I'm diving steel 100 and dry suit. Deepest dive is 85fsw. I typically average around 50 fsw on my dives. My dive plan would be to just stay near the top of the wreck and explore. No penetration. Conservative profile. My buddy has the same experience as I do, and will also be diving steel 100s. Thanks for your input!

A wreck reel isn't required, I've dove her in 3' vis, and you can get by with natural navigation just fine. If you have good buddy skills, and stay within arms length of each other, you really shouldn't need any special gear. If you or your buddy have a tendency to wander off from time to time a pony bottle might be in order.

Reviewing my dives there most of my time was between 75' - 85', so it's not beyond your experience. As this is towards the deeper end of your experience be sure to keep a close eye on your air. As always, make sure you listen do the dive briefing. CAD divers does a good job of letting you know what to expect, and how use the lines if there's any significant current.

There's a couple of dive videos of her on youtube, be sure to check them out before you go.

Good Luck, Have Fun, be safe,
Ken

The Chester Polling is one of the most challenging dives in NE when the conditions are not right.

To start big swells on the surface can make you fall of the boat or on the deck and get hurt or just make you seasick. Once you hit the water you need to stay close to the boat or the current will take you away. The mooring line descent takes at least four minutes or longer. Indeed is a long line very long that stays different depths while you swim horizontal. If you make it to the wreck, with enough air. You better take your bearings this time of the year can be up to three mooring lines and not all of them take you to the surface. Should you take a pony/deco bottle? Who knows!! Once on the wreck divers who left their pony "just in case" came back to find out that have mysteriously disappeared or moved out of place. Then, you hit vis of 5 feet and very strong current that forces you to look for protection on one side of the wreck. This makes your dive profile hit the deepest point and your SAC rate skyrockets. If you try to swim on the deck you will use a lot of air trying to pull yourself across the dangerous steel metal/arrows and debris. If you mistakenly hold to a spiny venomous fish you might just run out of luck. Additionally, if the monsters of the seas show up....do not feel intimidated if next to you there are sharp teeth sharks. Watching you every move and willing to take a bite. Large schools of fish frequently surround the divers and swim at high speed making them loose equilibrium or orientation. Dark shadows are always a constant reminder of the unknown creatures on the wreck. There are histories of divers pulled (suction) inside the wreck when they got to close to the open hatches. By no mistake go inside these dark cold hatches, there have been sights of 50lbs monsters with large crushing tentacles (confirmed report from BGF). If you decide to see the break point on the stern. Be aware creatures of the size of your legs might give you a surprise. And for no reason even think on laying your fins/legs on the sea floor or you can get a nasty bite of the sea serpent that lives under the wreck. If the serpent does not get you …deep buried in the sand are tons of volts waiting to be discharge on the unaware diver. Do not touch anything that looks like moving sand. There are different sounds once you are on the Sandy bottom...if you hear chanting bells or even fem voices do not swim out to look for the source. People find out that they swam too far from the wreck or just get lost and have to do a free descent (RIO has heard the bells).

If you after all the dangers make it back to the line. Then on your long ascent you have to cover your face to avoid be burned by the ocean floating bats looking for a target. Remember, the long mooring line, now you run the risk of decompression sickness if on the horizontal swim a strong current push you out to the surface. Once doing your deco/safe stop you can bang your head on the boat as the tube you are holding goes up and down without control. While holding for your dare live DO not by any means stare to little star lights that seem to be gently dancing on front of your face this silver kind of lights can hypnotize you and make forget about everything (RIO almost lost it las week). If you reach the ladder hurry do not spare any precious time. Big Birds in the area are known to attack the divers on their way up to the boat. This is not with the intent to discourage you of diving…but be aware!

Please be safe!
Ps sorry if I did not get the facts straight!

Last edited:
The Chester Polling is one of the most challenging dives in NE when the conditions are not right.

When conditions are not right, I assure you, there are much more challenging dives in the NE.

In any case, the Poling is a pretty simple dive for those with a bit of general experience diving in the NE under their belts. Deck is usually around 80'. A 100cf is about right for an NDL dive. We would always do this on 32%, and gas limits and NDL limits would align pretty well. Usually in doubles, but a pony would be fine, or just a good buddy.

Once you know the wreck, diving it in bad vis isn't a big deal, but a reel would be nice in case it's poor on your first visit. Just cruising the top deck and catwalk will prove a nice dive.

While CAD is an ok outfit, if either Fran or Heather and Dave are going out there, I'd prefer those latter options.

Have a great time!

When conditions are not right, I assure you, there are much more challenging dives in the NE.

In any case, the Poling is a pretty simple dive for those with a bit of general experience diving in the NE under their belts. Deck is usually around 80'. A 100cf is about right for an NDL dive. We would always do this on 32%, and gas limits and NDL limits would align pretty well. Usually in doubles, but a pony would be fine, or just a good buddy.

Once you know the wreck, diving it in bad vis isn't a big deal, but a reel would be nice in case it's poor on your first visit. Just cruising the top deck and catwalk will prove a nice dive.

While CAD is an ok outfit, if either Fran or Heather and Dave are going out there, I'd prefer those latter options.

Have a great time!

This is good advice. CAD runs a decent operation but it can get crowded very quickly. I was on the Poling with them last month and there had to be 15+ divers in the water as they had 2 full boats moored. Suffice to say that the ascent was chock full of fun.

I've never been out with Heather but Fran always ensures a good time. He also runs night trips to the Poling if you feel comfortable after a couple of day dives.

Hi,

I took some actual facts and blow them out of porportion. But, there is some truth on my narrative.

Ken,
I have one tell for the U853....but that's even more scary....this is not the time....to tell about the scary alive Bones and the moving torpedo.
lol

I hope you get great vis as we did this year. I might have one video of the U853...browse my videos.

http://amazing-ocean.com/videos/
I did sense that the sarcasm valve was wide open! : D

Hi,

I took some actual facts and blow them out of porportion. But, there is some truth on my narrative.

To say the least... you said I almost "lost it last week" on the the Poling?!?!!? :confused:

The main place where I disagree with Ed's version is that I was in Rhode Island at the time of this alleged dive. :D

Or are you suggesting that I just lost it so badly that I don't remember being there?

Please tell me you didn't read all the way to the part where he started talking about the "monsters" before deciding it was necessary to set him straight.... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom