Newb questions about spearfishing in SoFla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THRILLSEEKER

Reaction score
Coming up on my annual winter trip to the middle keys, Ive decided to take up spearfishing. Im an avid boater/diver/fisherman/hunter/target shooter, so combining them all seems like a very fun idea. I ordered a 54" AB Biller and plan to do some freshwater dives in the next few weeks with it to shoot at some jugs and just get a feel for it. All of the common sense principles of firearm saftey are alreay in place, and Im familiar with all of the NO TAKE zones and species but I still have a few questions.

If your boat fishing and spearfishing in the same trip does the normal bag limit per species still apply?

Spearing around bridges is OK as long as it does not allow public fishing?

I understand the max range on the gun I ordered to be about 20 ft. What can I expect with 1 band, and 2 bands?

Will a miss into the ocean floor or solid object FUBAR a spear?

Can a spear succesfully be fired into the water from on the boat (if that dammned Barracuda wont stop stealing the yellowtail that Im reeling in)? Any legalities against this?

I'm sure you will get a lot of information here but I will throw out a few pointers.
- go to spearboard.com and join the forum and start reading and searching. Most newbe stuff has been covered many times over.
- 54" biller should be a good keys gun. Practice shooting and reloading in the water in very helpful in learning how to aim and what your "actual" range might be.
- NEVER load a speargun out of the water. That is how accidents happen. They are not designed to be shot on land.
- If you are an experienced diver/fisherman you already realize that fish look bigger underwater. If the fish looks questionable it is probably short.
- Once you start spearfishing you will most likely be hooked.
Have fun and be safe.

Chad
Coming up on my annual winter trip to the middle keys, Ive decided to take up spearfishing. Im an avid boater/diver/fisherman/hunter/target shooter, so combining them all seems like a very fun idea. I ordered a 54" AB Biller and plan to do some freshwater dives in the next few weeks with it to shoot at some jugs and just get a feel for it. All of the common sense principles of firearm saftey are alreay in place, and Im familiar with all of the NO TAKE zones and species but I still have a few questions.

If your boat fishing and spearfishing in the same trip does the normal bag limit per species still apply? Yes

Spearing around bridges is OK as long as it does not allow public fishing? Yes

I understand the max range on the gun I ordered to be about 20 ft. What can I expect with 1 band, Close shooting only mostly with a holed up fish unless you switch to freeshafting (highly recommended), and 2 bands? 20' feet is a stretch with a 54 line rigged, 12' to 15' is more likely. The Floridian spear is Biller's fastest & longest shooting stock spear. There are many custom spears available that will work well for the Keys.

Will a miss into the ocean floor or solid object FUBAR a spear? It can, more likely the head. I'd use pointed Spring stainless spears with a Hawaiian flopper only.
Can a spear succesfully be fired into the water from on the boat (if that dammned Barracuda wont stop stealing the yellowtail that Im reeling in)? Any legalities against this? Not illegal just not practical or accurate. Jump in and shoot him if necessary. A spear with no barb works well and won't ruin a spear, unless you actually want him..

Have fun!

Chad

As I've said before, learn to freeshaft early on. Your learning curve will be much faster. Pool practice in the fastest way to learn to aim your gun...and to see your range and accuracy of said gun.

I take a prefab PVC fence piece, about $50 at Home Depot, and weight the bottom corners with blocks/rope. Bring a few extra shafts for spares, they are not too expensive (around $30 from Ray Odor).

You can also read tons about this over at Spearfishing Planet, mostly Florida west coast shooters. I like target shooting and love fishing. Once you spear, you may never go back. I sold half my fishing rods.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.
Remember no fish or gun is worth your life.
Charlie

Thanks for the advise. I assume free shafting is shooting w/ out a line attached to the shaft?

What happens when you miss/ hit? Chase the shaft/ fish to the bottom?

What advantages does it offer over having a line attached?

Advantages: faster reloads, carry additional shafts, better accuracy and range, more shots=faster learning.

The key: shot placement and angle.

I usually have a detachable line system that I can put on the shaft in a few seconds for cobia/AJ/wrecks/holed up fish. You can find these on Spearfishing Specialities guns and Deathsticks.

Charlie

For your gun the best freespears will not have a slide ring for attaching a line. They will be just a single barb spear, probably 60" long. The point to freespearing is to greatly increase range, accuracy and handling/reloading ability.

Some Biller and SS freespears are drilled to allow attaching a line in some instances but they are not commonly used that way. Other style spears with fins instead of notches can be used interchangeably as freespears or line spears.

The Keys is one of the best places to learn to freespear, due to the clear water and abundance of easy fish like hogfish.

You might like to check out the info and video about the topic on this St Pete Times article I collaborated in making. St. Petersburg Times Online: Ocean Hunters
Click the links under the photo... the divers - the fish - video.

Chad

Aso keep in mind the refraction of light across the water, meaning that shooting from air into water will almost always mean a miss!! Where you see the fish from the boat is usually not where the fish really is... hope this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom