Dive Site Maps - Resources?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PowderGal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for Resources/Dive Site Maps that I can study before going to a new location.

So far, all my dives have been guided - and I'm not complaining. I've enjoyed my dives, seem tons of cool things and have been able to work on techniques to maximize my dive experience. But now I'm ready to bite off a little more to become more self-sufficient underwater. I'm ready to start preparing and learning the terrain underwater. QUESTION: "How can I prepare in advance for a new dive site (even if I'm going to follow a guide) to know the terrain better before I go?" Before I go to a new city, I pull up a map (having Google maps has come in quite handy), look it over, review the major arteries, figure out start and stop places. Basicly, I study the map. By the time I get to the new location, I'm far from being an expert, but I know enough not to panic if I make a wrong turn and can usually find my way around. Now, I expect that relying exclusively on maps underwater will be a little trickier than on dry land with street signs. But, are there any books or resources online where I can find maps of dive sites that I can study before going to new diving locations? Part of this studying is to train my brain to understand terrain features and how to negotiate. My thought process is that if I prepare, then follow a guide, I can compare my preparation to actual experience and learn faster from this approach. My approach could be wrong, of course, and if any of you have comments on why I'm doing this all wrong, please speak up and tell me what else to do. Thank you.

I usually contact a local (to my destination) dive shop and ask what they have for their sites in the way of maps. Most of the time is just a Frankos
DiveNav's Web has some cool sites currently.

Thank you! I see there are no easy answers to my plight. Went to both suggested sites. The NOAA site - comprehensive for plotting depths - which gives me info about terrain for sure- but takes a lot more work than looking at a road map! :confused6: The other site - very cool. I'll have to spend some time at both to learn. So far, it looks like I just have to go experience the site - perhaps I'll just need a large slate to map it out as I go - another multi-tasking skill I'll have to learn! :D

Thanks for the input.

Some sites may have been mapped by DM's as part of their DM class. Local shops/instructors or the DM's themselves would be good contacts for that information.
Ber :lilbunny:

Sometimes even google earth is a good place to look - because many people post photos at their coordinates, or information, links to wikipedia, etc.

Local underwater archeology societies frequently publish line drawings of popular shipwrecks in the area.

This is great! Ask and ye shall receive. More resources, more info ... need input. Thanks!!!

aka Information Junkie

Check with your local Fish and Game office if it is a freshwater or lake dive site. The F&G in Alaska has Bathymetric maps (underwhater topo maps) of most of the accessibile and popular fishing spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom