Best emergency Strobe option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Tek-Tite waterproof strobes come with a choice of dome cover colors. Clear, blue, amber, red, green and IR.
Is there an optimal color for a strobe that would catch a rescuer's eye from the greatest distance yet would indicate there my be an SOS situation?

I.e. maybe a clear strobe light could be regarded as a marker or buoy rather than someone indicating an emergency, while a red or yellow strobe light would suggest otherwise?

Any strobe will be noticed. Buoys wouldn't have strobes. If you want to get techincal about it though, as quoted by the Coast Guard, "Under Inland Navigation Rules, a high intensity white light flashing at regular intervals from 50-70 times per minute is considered a distress signal. Such devices do NOT count toward meeting the visual distress signal requirement, however"

The white light will travel much further than a red or yellow, which would be important. The CG only accepts a light that automatically flashes SOS. With that being said, the CG will go after any blink of light while searching, especially if they know you have it. List it as part of your equipment list on a float plan. For example, it you are diving from a charter, leave the list on your gear bag or find a way to let other people know you have it. The CG will ask and every bit of additional info helps.

I have a Tek Tite and love it. One lasted me well over 20 years.

Have you considered these???
GLO-TOOB & FLASH-CAP

I've seen the older ones, but I wouldn't consider those bright enough to be an emergency beacon, although it's better than nothing. Maybe the lithium ones are brighter?

Check this out. I saw it on another board. It is a small flashlight that has a separate battery for the strobe light.

Dual light Saver from Defender marine

Some of the guys are replacing the light with a mag lite LED.

Ryan

Is there an optimal color for a strobe that would catch a rescuer's eye from the greatest distance yet would indicate there my be an SOS situation?

I.e. maybe a clear strobe light could be regarded as a marker or buoy rather than someone indicating an emergency,

Trying to noodle out your application. You are concerned about being mistaken for other objects that are activated. Okay, you're diving in a fairly congested area and at night. That's about all I got out of it.

Unless it is dead calm and the boatsman is actively looking for you, a strobe that is not held high out of the water will likely go un-seen. The best strobe color is white (see OBX and Charlie above). Find one that you can easily secure or pre-mount on an SMB. This will allow you to really elevate the beacon. This is a key.

The ones with more than one AA or AAA battery will likely cause most any SMB to sag and flop over. Weight is critical. The run time on the small units seems quite adequate.

If you are concerned about being spotted from the air, strobes again only have a nighttime application. If that's the case, as little as the spark of a Bic lighter would likely do the trick. The Coasties aren't looking with their naked eyes. It depends upon your situation and if you have flown balloons around the world as to whether they'll fire up the Sea Stallions or not.

The Silberman/Rothco strobe from NudeDiver above? I have had very poor results with these while diving at depth. They are really not for diving, although you can hang them off a boat ladder a few feet down. (Read the website, it says "water resistant") They are great for a life jacket application. The D Cell makes them clunky, but they will run for days. Again- excellent for marking the ladder or hung at 15' from the boat.

MagLites unfortunately are not waterproof if you turn them on. If they are deployed at the surface, they would likely suffice, if you greased the o-rings. Whatever you do, the mating surfaces will corrode after few dives and make the bezel inoperable. I know, I was literally the first person to ever dive with a MagLite and have it flood. When they usewd to say "waterproof to 200 feet" they might have said, "if you don't turn it on". Now, they make no reference as to waterproof specs. The Flash Cap falls victim to this problem.

The Dual Light Saver is useful, but the strobe is a rescue device and should be as small as possible. The adding of a flashlight and additional batteries is clever, but a strobe can run fine with one AAA battery (versus the 3 here). The smaller the better. In that it is a rescue device, it should not be unhooked, touched, or exposed to damage until the crucial moment of need. I advise rolling them up inside your SMB and securing them to the top of the tube. (Remember- if they're heavy, the SMB will not hold them up)

Tek-Tite is my choice.

There is no one-size-fits-all for rescue signaling gear. What works at night, will not help you in the day. What works in the Philippines at night may not work at all in Lake Michigan or Florida.

Pre visualize the situation, gear up accordingly.

Last edited:
Trying to noodle out your application. You are concerned about being mistaken for other objects that are activated. Okay, you're diving in a fairly congested area and at night. That's about all I got out of it.

Unless it is dead calm and the boatsman is actively looking for you, a strobe that is not held high out of the water will likely go un-seen. The best strobe color is white (see OBX and Charlie above). Find one that you can easily secure or pre-mount on an SMB. This will allow you to really elevate the beacon. This is a key.

The ones with more than one AA or AAA battery will likely cause most any SMB to sag and flop over. Weight is critical. The run time on the small units seems quite adequate.

If you are concerned about being spotted from the air, strobes again only have a nighttime application. If that's the case, as little as the spark of a Bic lighter would likely do the trick. The Coasties aren't looking with their naked eyes. It depends upon your situation and if you have flown balloons around the world as to whether they'll fire up the Sea Stallions or not.

The Silberman/Rothco strobe from NudeDiver above? I have had very poor results with these while diving at depth. They are really not for diving, although you can hang them off a boat ladder a few feet down. (Read the website, it says "water resistant") They are great for a life jacket application. The D Cell makes them clunky, but they will run for days. Again- excellent for marking the ladder or hung at 15' from the boat.

MagLites unfortunately are not waterproof if you turn them on. If they are deployed at the surface, they would likely suffice, if you greased the o-rings. Whatever you do, the mating surfaces will corrode after few dives and make the bezel inoperable. I know, I was literally the first person to ever dive with a MagLite and have it flood. When they usewd to say "waterproof to 200 feet" they might have said, "if you don't turn it on". Now, they make no reference as to waterproof specs. The Flash Cap falls victim to this problem.

The Dual Light Saver is useful, but the strobe is a rescue device and should be as small as possible. The adding of a flashlight and additional batteries is clever, but a strobe can run fine with one AAA battery (versus the 3 here). The smaller the better. In that it is a rescue device, it should not be unhooked, touched, or exposed to damage until the crucial moment of need. I advise rolling them up inside your SMB and securing them to the top of the tube. (Remember- if they're heavy, the SMB will not hold them up)

Tek-Tite is my choice.

There is no one-size-fits-all for rescue signaling gear. What works at night, will not help you in the day. What works in the Philippines at night may not work at all in Lake Michigan or Florida.

Pre visualize the situation, gear up accordingly.

Thanks Roatan Man!

That was helpful. I have a Princeton-tec small strobe. I think it is a 1 or 2 AA battery unit. The strobe is light in weight and can probably be secured to a SMB and not cause it to fall over. I just received a new Tektite 2 C battery (200C ) unit. It is large, heavy and the strobe is brighter than the sun! It seem too large and heavy to take diving but I am a bit concerned because I leave for Palau in one month and I have heard stories of several "lost" divers. ACR electronics makes a combo flashlight/strobe unit too. Thoughts?

Also, I noticed OMS has a small "waterproof" to 300 ft clear lexan tube. I thought about sticking a small marine radio in their for additional back-up. But where to secure it would be a bit of an issue. PLB is out of my price range now.

Best wishes for safe diving,
"The Garvelous"

Additionally, I intend to take to Palau:

1. Small flashlight - for looking in crevices and for emergency use too.

2. Strobe - Tektite or Princeton tec or both

3. Mirror - i like the glass ones... much better reflection of sunlight.

4. Storm whistle

5. Dive Alert - pressurized signaling device. Surface unit only.

6. SMB - any brand suggestions? I have an old XS Scuba unit with no OPV.

7. Spool??? finger style... I am not sure if this is useful or needed, thus I may forgo it.

8. OMS Dye - Air search application

9. Considering buying a Rescue Streamer see: RescueStreamer® - Water Safety Emergency Distress Signaling Device

I hope I do not sound too compulsive about this issue, but I have a 2 year old boy who needs me and I just do not want to leave out any reasonably priced option. I don't care what other divers think of my precautions, as one thoughtful SB member stated - to paraphrase - ... with all my extra signaling gear, I expect to be very popular if I am with a group of divers lost at sea...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom