The Long Hose With A Jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am transitioning to doubles and and will be learning to dive with a long hose. I will have a seperate set of regs for singles and plan to have it with a long hose as well, so that when I dive in my gear regardless of the number of tanks, it will be as consistent as possible.

When I travel, I will probably take my regs with me but not my BP/W. What is it like diving with a long hose and a resort jacket style BC?

I was thinking a 5 foot hose on my singles set might be a good idea. That would make it even easier with the jacket, right?

Yes. With a 5 foot hose there is no difference between a BC and a BP/Wing.

Only problem you might have with a recreational BC is deciding which of the 200 D rings to clip the long hose off to when not in use :D

There was a pole once for those that switched to a BP/W if they would go back to a jacket and the general consensus was NO! Most bring their BP/W's with them. Consistency is using the same gear no matter where you dive.

To answer your question, yes you can use a long hose with a jacket. Probably not a seven footer since there are not a lot of places to tuck in the extra length. Which leads to something else you are going to miss not using a BP/W...your can light, which is another item that once you use one you want it on every dive.

There was a pole once for those that switched to a BP/W if they would go back to a jacket and the general consensus was NO! Most bring their BP/W's with them.
My travel also involves a wife, a 2 year old and a one year old. In the new year it will also include a newborn. Traveling with more than my reg bag is really not going to happen for the most part.

There was a pole once for those that switched to a BP/W if they would go back to a jacket and the general consensus was NO! Most bring their BP/W's with them. Consistency is using the same gear no matter where you dive.

To answer your question, yes you can use a long hose with a jacket. Probably not a seven footer since there are not a lot of places to tuck in the extra length. Which leads to something else you are going to miss not using a BP/W...your can light, which is another item that once you use one you want it on every dive.

yeah...I kept my jacket thinking that vacation diving would serve it well, but I'm taking the Transplate with me, I'm liking it too much!

For the OP, I think as long as you can stow the long hose ok, it should be be a stretch, I think that config is more logical than the customary one! (just my opinion)

Ive found a 7ft hose with a jacket BC a complete pain in the arse.

There isnt anything to tuck it under, they dont have webbing belts and due to the wrap and pockets you cant stuff it in there neatly either. I HATE 7ft on a jacket BC.

5ft on the other hand works nicely.

That's really quite unfortunate that you won't be able to bring your bp/w. Now that I'm diving a bp/w, I can't imaging going to a BC, let alone a jacket BC. I would definitely want to be diving with my long hose, but as others said, 7 feet may be just too long when you don't have many options of stowing the excess. Maybe you could just wear your bp/w when you travel so you don't have to pack it away! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom