I need a wing feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moxy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everybody,
I`m looking for buying a new wing OMEGA Zone 2. Has anybody tryed it?

Looks like a mess. What are you after? What are you trying to do with your gear?

Doesn't look like a wing to me. Looks like a really messy hybrid BC with loads of un-needed straps and clips to interfere, no way of customising D-rings and so on and doesn't have a standard backplate.

Get a BC or a wing not one of these hybrids that does neither job well.

Just buy a halcyon back plate and wing and stop wasting you money. It will be the last BC you ever buy. I have owned one for ten years and has been trouble free I dive it in cold and warm water and it very comfortable even with out a shirt.

Just to have a look, I went to the Leisure Pro site.

When I looked up this Omega Zone II, there was a sign reading "Sorry, this item has been discontinued and is no longer available, see similar items from the list below".

I do suggest you go for a proper BP/W, but if you insist on getting this particular BCD, finding one on sale might be your greatest challenge.

Hi Everybody,

I know a lot of us have several pieces of gear (BCs included) sitting in our closets that we never use. This is just my opinion, and you gotta do you, but if I had it to do again, I would do it this way.

-Find a dive shop that doesn't suck and has a pool.

-Dive a back-inflate, jacket style, backplate and wings, or vintage tank pack in the pool.

-Figure out which style works best for you.

-Buy one that isn't really expensive, or full of crap that you feel you don't need.

-Be happy that you made your own decision instead of listening to a bunch of people (myself included) on the internet.

FWIW.

Hi Everybody,

I am now on my second set up. The first was a Dive Rite Transpac + Venture Wing. So, a harness with soft plate and separate wing. Frankly, I loved it, it was much better than the jacket BCs I'd tried.

I'm now diving a standard stainless steel back plate with minimalist harness. Do I regret the TransPac? Not too much. I am still using the wing, so that's a positive for having a standard harness that accepts standard wings.

But that being said, going to a back plate means easier trim and it is much more customizable. With the ZOne II you can slip a back plate into it, but in that case why do you need the zone II? With a standard plate, you can go minimalist (3 d-rings) or go wild (as many as you can afford). You can go 2 inch webbing, or you can add padding.

Also, the TransPac I purchased uses a lot of plastic clips. I don't want to trust my life to them. I doubt they would break in the water, but funny things can happen on a dive boat when heavy tanks are rolling around. One crack in a buckle or something and I could find my harness trying to float away when I'm on The Tiller at 110'.

So what am I saying? First, while I am not an expert, I would go for a setup that includes a harness and wing that are separate pieces attached using the standard setup, not a combo unit. Second, I now prefer the back plate and stainless steel hardware for the reasons I mentioned, but I can understand someone being happy with a softer setup like a TransPac + separate wing. Third, one plus two equals three, meaning I would avoid a one-piece setup where you can't switch out the wing and harness as needed.

p.s. If you want a used TransPac with twenty-five dives on it... just kidding ;-)

p.p.s. Sorry to go on like this, but I just had a terrific mug of coffee. I am suspicious about something: On the internet, I saw a page bragging that you could dive doubles with the Zone II. If that is true, I wonder whether there is too much inflation for singles. Again, I am not an expert, but most of the wisdom rolling around seems to suggest that it is better to have a wing sized for the specific diving you are doing: 30-40 pounds for singles, more for doubles, tons for doubles with stage and deco bottles. Just wondering about whether there is too much buoyancy on this rig...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom