Neck chafing from BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carrielsal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Sherwood Avid BCD that I bought a couple of years ago. I have found that if I am diving multiple dives over the course of several days, by the second day my neck is chafed to the point it is very painful. Wearing a hood would rectify the issue, but if I'm diving in warm water I really do not want to wear a hood. My BC is a good fit and not too large.
I have noticed in my LDS the new BCD's such as the Pearl have soft material sewed on the inside of the shoulder straps. I really don't want to have to buy a new BCD. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Carrie

Last edited:
A scarf ??

I don't have problems of chafing at the neck, but did have problem with boot seams chafing my feet. Wearing regular topside socks solved the problem, although the old argyle dress socks make a strange fashion statement.

Just think of the possible fashion statements you could make with a scarf. :D

I've actually tried that, but a scarf will not stay in place. I was hoping there might be something that can actually be attached to the inside of the shoulder straps.
When I saw that the new model bc's have a soft material sewed on the inside of the shoulder straps, it made me think that I'm not the only person who has this problem.
Carrie

I am sorry there is not we have as a manufacturer to retrofit a BC that does not have the neoprene neck roll. It is something to consider and I will mention it to the Product Development Team.

Sherwood Scuba Rep.

I have a Sherwood Avid BCD that I bought a couple of years ago. I have found that if I am diving multiple dives over the course of several days, by the second day my neck is chafed to the point it is very painful. Wearing a hood would rectify the issue, but if I'm diving in warm water I really do not want to wear a hood. My BC is a good fit and not too large.
I have noticed in my LDS the new BCD's such as the Pearl have soft material sewed on the inside of the shoulder straps. I really don't want to have to buy a new BCD. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Carrie

Is it chafing on the side of your neck? You might want to look at two possibilities.

1) Go to a shop that sells backplate and wing configurations (tech divers). The harness is just straps like the seatbelt in your car. They have padding you can add to the harness to stop it from cutting into your shoulders. If that fits your BCD you might be able to use that to stop the chafing.

2) Car accessory shops selling padding for seatbelts. You add the padding to the seatbelt to prevent it from chafing your neck. This might work for you as well.

One other thought, loosen the buckle across your chest and see if that will help to spread the straps apart. That might stop the chafing as well.

If the BCD is chafing the back of your neck, can you loosen the shoulder straps and wear the BCD a little lower?

I had another idea. There are several rash guards out on the market that have a mock turtle neck collar. AKONA makes one. Do you think wearing the rash guard might eliminate the chaffing?

I thouht of that, but the neck collar does not come up high enough. I was really hoping there would be something maybe someone the bc could be modified. Surely I'm not the only person with this problem.
If I'm just doing a couple of dives on the weekend it's not an issue. The problem starts when I go on a trip where we are diving multiple dives every day.
Carrie

I thouht of that, but the neck collar does not come up high enough. I was really hoping there would be something maybe someone the bc could be modified. Surely I'm not the only person with this problem.
If I'm just doing a couple of dives on the weekend it's not an issue. The problem starts when I go on a trip where we are diving multiple dives every day.
Carrie

It is hard to say but my dive shop sells a LOT of Avid BCDs and no one complains about them. I've been on a 10-day and 14-day dive trip to the Caribbean with mine and had no problems.

I had a similar problem with my Dacor Falcon. It was one of the things that finally persuaded me that I don't really mind wearing a hood. Of course, I recently replaced the Dacor and will see how the new DSS unit works.

it may not be your BC, but could be the position you are inside your BC, maybe its too small or large for you. i am a larger guy that wears a smaller BC so i don't have the thing riding up my back and let the straps out. try letting the shoulder straps out all the way or as much as you can.

you could also try repositioning your tank and weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom