California Lobster Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got 4 last night, at a La Jolla Reef, the surge was pretty challenging. What's with all the Crabs? I saw more of the Bright Red Crabs (Southern Kelp Crab?) then I have ever seen before.

I went to the back side of Anacapa Island for one dive opening weekend. I was only able to "find" three of them, but couldn't catch any of them. I did a day dive and left before my second dive because the weather kicked up and I have a small boat. At the marina, I met someone who limited out at Anacapa (so he said) and had caught a 5lb’er. He had the bugs, just couldn't pin him down on where he caught them. Anyway, judging by all the commercial lobster fishing traps I saw out there (the islands where surrounded three rows deep) I can't imagine very many legal ones are left to catch. Honestly, there were so many traps it was simply ridicules. The resource is really being managed well!!!! Good Luck and let me know where you find them.

WK,

You gotta go at night. The bugs come out of their holes after dark; and it seems like the small ones come out earlier than the big ones. As for catching them, 9 times out of 10 a bug takes off backwards. Aim your grab at the end of it's tail and it will jump into your hand. Of course, the 10th time the bug will shoot forward and bounce off you while you frantically slap your chest like a spastic underwater Tarzan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom