5 minutes 3 seconds!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario S Caner

Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just got done watching Real TV where a 53 year old man held his breath underwater for 5 minutes and 3 seconds! Wow! Have you guys ever tried to see how long you can hold your breath?

Turns out that this guy has over 9 liters of lung volume, which is alomst twice the normal amount of the average human.

This guy has got to be a fierce freediver!

What's your best time?

Super Mario the Minute Man!!!

No wonder, well you know!

Over 7 minutes is the time alot of top freedivers can hold there breath for in static apnea.

Two minutes gives me a headache!

As for 7 minutes... how? Don't you suffer brain damage after 4 or so? Ah... :royal: suddenly things are getting clearer. So how long did you say you can hold your breath for? LOL!

Hey - I don't have any brain dagema, I'm just alittle slow and growing gills...

Dane

i read a recent interview with Tanya wazersurname, the free diving champion.

she did mention that her "breath holding" is far from impressive, and iirc, goes as far as to say that freediving and breathholding talents dont necesserily go hand in hand

or something to that effect, anyway ...

Mario,

About a month ago I had my lung capacity tested on a machine at a Pulmonologist's office. The test showed my lung capacity was just over 8 cubic litres. The doctor and his nurses were all pretty impressed. They said it was pretty rare that they saw those kind of results. In fact his nurse said if she didn't know better, she would have thought the machine was broken, but it had recently been calibrated. But I'll tell you, 2 minutes 15 seconds is about the best I can do holding my breath. It's got to be in the training. Who knows, with a little training(and a couple ruptured eardrums) maybe I could be a world class freediver! :wink:

8 liters is indeed impressive. Perhaps you should start conditioning yourself to see if you can extend your 2:15 Keep us posted! Just don't kill any more brain cells... your signature at the bottom of your posts is worrying me. :D LOL!

Back in my partying days in high school, my buddies always got mad at me because I would always toke the whole doobie in one hit...:)

Back
Top Bottom