Question for you SoCal'ers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norda

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Were we diving the channel islands last week and I have two questions.

First, we dove the west side of Anacapa and there were what appeared to be small yellow starfish literally covering the entire bottom. Some appeared to be alive while others were dead. What were these?

Second, at Anacapa and Santa Cruz we found two rather large crabs walking across the bottom. They had a "humped" shell and very long legs. I would guess they were probably 2' + across if the legs were extended. What type of crabs were these?

Thanks, Bill

Are you sure they're starfish? I'm thinking yellow zoanthid anemones.

Norda,
There are sites at Anacapa where the brittle stars are EVERYWHERE. I think those are Ophiothrix spiculata. The book I checked for ID says aggregates of more than a million animals occur.
Neil

Ok, dug out my dive log. I have the site down as near the Goldfish Bowl. The sea stars were thin and fuzzy, and as Neil pointed out it seemed like there were millions of them.

Thanks kelpmermaid, your right on with the sheepcrabs.

Bill.

Sorry Arnaud, missed your post before my last reply. They were yellow in color, but did not appear to be attached anywhere as I assume anemones would be? Many of them were clearly moving across the bottom.

Norda once bubbled...
Sorry Arnaud, missed your post before my last reply. They were yellow in color, but did not appear to be attached anywhere as I assume anemones would be? Many of them were clearly moving across the bottom.

Well, then, I just have to take my suggestion back :wink:

I've dived Goldfish Bowl before. Don't have any record of large aggregations of brittlestars there, but they can be seen in that region.

Dr. Bill:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom