AI Computer and SPG reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like some inputs regarding failures of AI Computers. Not including wireless transmitters. I have heard so much talk about analog being so much more reliable than electronic. Frankly, I have had an ORCA Skinny dipper for twenty years and have never had a failure of any sort. Can't say that about my Analog SPGs. Of course this is just my experience.

Have been looking at buying an AI computer lately and am aware of issues or concerns about reliability. Since I will back up with a non AI dive computer the only real info I won't have backed up is air.

I have replaced 2 SPGs in the last twenty years of diving. Not a bad record I think for Analog SPGs. I did not count replacing HP hoses as this would similarly affect reliabilty of an AI computer. Have never aborted a dive. On both times I had to replace my SPGs, they flooded but functioned for the rest of the dive.

What are your experiences with AI Computer failures / reliabilty? Any inputs would be much appreciated.

A dive shop I frequent just stopped using AI computers for rentals because they were requiring yearly repairs and usually had to be replaced every two or three year although this is obviously with heavy usuage. That said, the SPGs in their analogue consoles they rent have often lasted several years despite being used on multiple dives per day.

My Cobra AI computer failed after 85 dives or so. Pressure transducer went out - for no obvious reason.The air integration was fine - the computer just didn't know it was under water, didn't go into UW mode, and couldn't tell me what depth I was at. I didn't have a backup depth gauge, but wish I did.

Your question is asking about air integration though. I didn't have any problems with the air integration aspect of things, and I really like AI. I wouldn't dive without AI at this point, if I could help it.

Now I have two AI computers, Cobra and Vytec - so I'm backed up all the away around.

I think that if you're making any kind of trip, you definitely want to have backups of this stuff. It would suck to make an expensive trip somewhere and then get screwed because your Suunto (or whatever) goes **** up for no good reason.

If you're using a Suunto product, I would definitely have a depth gauge or second computer for a backup.

Mechanical SPGs are just short of bulletproof reliable. I've yet to see any electronic device match that performance.

All-in-all the hose mounted AI computers are decently reliable. I personally prefer not to have my air gauge battery dependent and don't find any value in the AI air management functions, which I feel only add clutter to the screens, but that's just me.

With all your instrumention in a single device you're wise to carry a backup, though with the various functions spread among 3 devices - SPG, depth gauge, and computer - a single failure is more manageable. As others have said, carry backups if going on an extended trip where repairs or replacements aren't readily available

The reason I ask about AI is I have always had a preference for analog auges and their reputation for reliability. it is just that I recently got to thinking that I have actually experienced some failures with Analog but actually none with the old oRCA computer. As you can see, my experience and my general feeling about analog reliability are actually in conflict.

Perhaps if others can share their experiences with analog failures and computer failures I will get a better feel for what may be the better way to go.

I have had three pressure transducers fail ... Yet to replace an SPG.

Sort of same here ie never replaced my SPG with over a thousand dives on it......

I use an oceanic pro plus 2, has never failed with about 150 dives on it or so, in all the years that i have been diving i have seen the same failure rate for an SPG and an AI computer. Before i bought my wireless computers i never went in the water with a backup for my Pro plus2, i never worried about it failing. I can say that with the SPG failures that i have seen they tend to read much farther off than the AI computers failing (AI computers where about 200 - 300 PSI off, while the SPG's have been 500 - 600 PSI off). This is jsut my experience though.

I have been diving wireless gas-integrated computers for the last 500 dives or so. There have been temporary drops in transmission, especially in the early models (the US Divers Monitor III was my first), but never a permanent failure of the pressure data transmission.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom