Many of you Have a VIRUS - PLEASE READ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King_Neptune

Founder
Reaction score
Dee,

You are the current winner of "LET's MAIL BOMB King_Neptune". And I'm sorry to report that you are infected with some nasty computer viri, as many of you are.

I mentioned you Dee cuz you have now sent us over 100 emails. I have gotten over 300 emails in the last 2 hours from many of you, you may be infected and not know it.

I suggest you do the following...

1) If you're using McAfee Anti-Virus, you're wasting your time! So far Norton has Caught them all and McAfee has let them all through.

2) Go to the following URL and download the FREE Virus REMOVAL tools for Happy99 and W32Sircam and run them to be safe.

... sarc.com/avcenter/... sircam.worm ...

and

... symantec.com/avcenter/.../fix.happy99.worm.htm

The full list of Free Tools is at the following URL which is good to know because usually when ya get one computer crawly you get a few hitchikers along the ways.
symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

[red]LISTEN CAREFULLY...[/red]

Last week, Leisure Pro sent me 3 WAVES of EIGHT emails from one of their people ( solk@leisurepro ).
All of which were [red]INFECTED[/red] with these same [red]VIRUS[/red]'s ...

The reason this is soooo important is they seem to think it's ok to [red]SPAM[/red] very regularly and they do target this forum at times as many of you have witness and informed us about. Not to mention we here have also failed in our attempts to be removed from their spam lists. And this isnt just your average slimy spam now ... It's the EXTRA Value Meal ... Spam Burger with Viri ... "Yummy!"

Please be careful about what attachments you'll accept and even what emails you'll open. It doesn't just have to be an executable to be dangerous any longer.

=-)

Just a word to add to KN's post re: Spam. Never, ever respond to spam. Even to say "remove" - all you will have done is to let the spammer know you're a good address with a live person there, and they'll hit you from 47 new spam "sites."
By just deleting spam religiously you'll keep it at a minimum. It's irritating but it'll be tolerable. Respond and you'll be on every spam list in the country in a matter of hours! (well, maybe days)
Rick

Just wanted to add about the virus/trojan my version of Nortan didn't catch it but when a Friend sent me this link I was able to clean my machine it a free virus scan

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_pcc.asp

Don't open a attachment from a stranger:nono:

S*%$T! Here all this time that's exactly what I was doing! Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
Just a word to add to KN's post re: Spam. Never, ever respond to spam. Even to say "remove" - all you will have done is to let the spammer know you're a good address with a live person there, and they'll hit you from 47 new spam "sites."
By just deleting spam religiously you'll keep it at a minimum. It's irritating but it'll be tolerable. Respond and you'll be on every spam list in the country in a matter of hours! (well, maybe days)
Rick

It sounds like, from what you said, you didn't have the lastest engines for Norton. I support a few dozen companies and all of them have caught and been protected so far (knock on wood) using Norton as long as they are all kept up.

I personally use Norton's on some machines but I use Kaspersky's AV on my main workstation, but I wouldnt sugest that unless youre a experienced or Power user.

Out of the few dozen of you that sent me emails most of you emailed me back and mentioned you caught the little sneaky suckers and got rid of the virus. Hopefully the rest of you got my warning email and/or read this post. If you let it go too long it can make life pretty ugly, especially if you use your machine for work.

btw, Rick M hit a bullseye on his point, I made a post a long time ago (I'd have to search for it) that had some other pointers as well. I'll see if I can find it and maybe start a new thread to help out those newer members.

=-)

I haven't sent you ANY emails in recent history...much less 100 of them! I run McAfee and Norton on my computer and it is scanned daily...I have no viruses. All email is scanned before opening it and if I don't know who it's from it gets deleted. Absolutely NO attachments are opened regardless of who they are from. In other words I do all I can to avoid viruses.

I know you mean well but please double check your info. If you're getting email with my addy on it, it's defitely wrong. I will be changing my email.

The Original Dee

I heard about this recent virus last week on the radio. You may recognize the name of the sender or the subject because you are in their address book. The virus propogates and sends itself out to all in the address book. A messsage to entice the attachment to be opened may say something like: "Hi there, I just wanted your advice on this..." Don't open the attachment! I'm glad I heard that program, and was able to indentify the bug.

I have a program called bounce Spam it lets you send fake bounce messages to spammers to pretend your address is invalid..I got it at all places from CNN it’s by Albert Yale it works great !!

Dee,

Unfortunately the name on the email only said "Dee" but the email addy showed the one you have "bb at y . com" if you follow me.

Now just the nature of this last rock and roll session with SirCam and RedCode, etc it doesn't suprise me at all if it wasn't you ... I had just gotten tons of these emails and came into my admin section and searched for that addy and it showed you. But like I said I saw your name and your email addy and thought I would warn you.

If it wasn't yours then good! It's a real nasty little virus and I don't wish that on anyone here.

=-)

King, that email is an old one that I haven't used in over a year. I thought it had been cancelled. As a precaution, I ran the remonval and fixes for the two viruses and nothing was found. Good to know my precautions have worked.

That bug is a nasty liitle sucker....

Back
Top Bottom