Would you dive this profile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was planning a dive with a new buddy. We both are experienced divers, but I disagree with his proposed profile.

The first dive is to be on a wreck in 120 ft
Second dive is a reef with what he describes as a shelf in 80 ft
Third dive is also a reef with sandy bottom in 80 ft

I asked him about surface intervals and he seemed to think we would off-gas fairly rapidly without any other explanation. I think this profile borderlines on the extreme and puts us at risk. The buddy is well over 50, heading toward 60's. I'm younger by about 14 years and female. Your opinions are welcome.

Sounds like a nice set of dives, provided you do proper ascents and have appropriate surface intervals before the 2nd and 3rd dives.

You don't really give enough info (things like bottom times, multilevel or square profile, how long of ascent and stops on the way up, etc.) for anybody to know whether these are wonderful profiles or dangerous profiles.

Independent of whether the profiles are great or bad, you should NOT do the dives, since there appears to be some sort of communication difficulties between you and your buddy. The lack of coordination and communication is a big red flag.

120 is a little deep but...
you're going to have to add a lot more info to that profile if you want some helpful feed back, like planned bottom times and surface intervals, otherwise its just the depths you're planning on diving to. If you happen to be following sane bottom times, appropriate surface intervals and adding in some safety stops I don't really see a problem with it.

If nothing else there will be precious little bottom time for all of that work.

I get the impression that these are not multi-level dives. Your tables should give you a good idea of what the limitations are.

Pete

You have not provided a dive profile, so how can you disagree with it? No BT no SI, no gas mix are described.

Charlie 99 and dumpsterDiver: exactly what you have both said. He has not provided enough information about bottom time, surface interval. He was planning on diving air. I'd rather do nitrox.

Thanks everyone. Since we've never had the opportunity to dive together, we'll need to talk a lot more before I dive with him.

My almost automatic answer to anyone who asks: "Would you dive this profile?," is "No." I figure that if you are even asking, there is something wrong with it.

I was planning a dive with a new buddy. We both are experienced divers, but I disagree with his proposed profile.

I asked him about surface intervals and he seemed to think we would off-gas fairly rapidly without any other explanation. I think this profile borderlines on the extreme and puts us at risk. The buddy is well over 50, heading toward 60's. I'm younger by about 14 years and female. Your opinions are welcome.

Nothing wrong with it, considering you use a computer and don't squeeze out the last minutes everywhere. A longer time on the surface would be also nice. Maybe nitrox if possible......
And of course you shouldn't be complete exhausted after the dives....

As several have already mentioned, and you have confirmed, "you can't get there from here" based on the information provided.

HOWEVER, you are correct to question ANY dive below 30 metres with a new dive buddy... I do a lot of deep dives and teach technical diving to instructors, and I'd be thinking twice!

Good call and happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom