Rescue Diver, Thanks to the forum/thoughts and what next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
First of all I posted a while ago what course I shall take and that I DON'T want to make the rescue diver.
You guys on the forum talked me into the rescue and you were perfectly right. Good that you have told me!! I am happy with that course.

My course was wonderful good. But I saw DC offering it in 1 1/2 days. 1/2 day theoretic 1 day in the water. In my opinion that's far to less. As well the PADI test is a joke. I am sure without reading the book and after 5 beer I can do the 50%.
So the PADI level is really low.....

But the main question: what shall I do now?
Deep Diver Specialty: It sounds a bit pointless, because I dove already a couple of times deeper.....But maybe good as requirement for a next course??

What is there else??? A Deco course for beginner? Any ideas?
Actually I don't want to spend much so no rebreath, no helium.
I am more the guy who like to calculate and plan something....

Well your post and profile doesn't give us much to go on. (Subtle hint to put some meat on your profile)

My first suggestion is to go diving, lots of it and focus on mastering that which you have been taught.

If you have a dive intensive vacation in your future nitrox may be a worthwhile course but don't take it if you don't see a need in the foreseeable future.

Pete

Well your post and profile doesn't give us much to go on. (Subtle hint to put some meat on your profile)

My first suggestion is to go diving, lots of it and focus on mastering that which you have been taught.

If you have a dive intensive vacation in your future nitrox may be a worthwhile course but don't take it if you don't see a need in the foreseeable future.

Pete

Well sorry....
I have Nitrox
I stay in Thailand
I have approx. 60 dives, approx 10 over 30 meter and 1 at 47 meter
Former extreme sport guy (no that does not make me taking more risk, that makes me super carefully, thinking ahead of possible problems, but luckily there is not much in normal diving)
Technical education. Reading the gas laws to refresh my knowledge for fun.

I look for a bit of a challenge, but don't want to do something very dangerous, that behind me......

First of all I posted a while ago what course I shall take and that I DON'T want to make the rescue diver.
You guys on the forum talked me into the rescue and you were perfectly right. Good that you have told me!! I am happy with that course.

My course was wonderful good. But I saw DC offering it in 1 1/2 days. 1/2 day theoretic 1 day in the water. In my opinion that's far to less. As well the PADI test is a joke. I am sure without reading the book and after 5 beer I can do the 50%.
So the PADI level is really low.....

But the main question: what shall I do now?
Deep Diver Specialty: It sounds a bit pointless, because I dove already a couple of times deeper.....But maybe good as requirement for a next course??

What is there else??? A Deco course for beginner? Any ideas?
Actually I don't want to spend much so no rebreath, no helium.
I am more the guy who like to calculate and plan something....
Not sure there's such a thing as a deco class for a beginner. Remember, deco is an overhead, similar to cave or wreck. Since you don't want to spend much money, I'd say just go diving. Deco classes would require redundant gear, which is quite a bit of money.

Deco classes would require redundant gear, which is quite a bit of money.

That, and deep deco classes (should) require helium which he's already stated he doesn't want to pay for.

Well sorry....
I have Nitrox
I stay in Thailand
I have approx. 60 dives, approx 10 over 30 meter and 1 at 47 meter
Former extreme sport guy (no that does not make me taking more risk, that makes me super carefully, thinking ahead of possible problems, but luckily there is not much in normal diving)
Technical education. Reading the gas laws to refresh my knowledge for fun.

I look for a bit of a challenge, but don't want to do something very dangerous, that behind me......

You actually have a very solid foundation with those certifications in you log book. Continuing education is good stuff but there comes a point when you have saturated the scope of what you are doing. Experience and diving with many different divers can be a great way of developing. Diving need not be a perpetual money pit.

Are there dives or destinations that you see a need to prepare for? Wrecks, Deep and stuff like that? 47 Meters was out of your league, is that some place you want to be going back to?

Pete

Not sure there's such a thing as a deco class for a beginner. Remember, deco is an overhead, similar to cave or wreck. Since you don't want to spend much money, I'd say just go diving. Deco classes would require redundant gear, which is quite a bit of money.

Are you sure? People here are doing deco all the time with normal gear. As well where I dove the 47 meter deep wrack, all the Dive Center who are going there use normal gear and do the deco with normal gear.
Actually I do have the first and second stage double, so that wouldn't be a problem.
I would like to be able to plan such "deep" dives myself, as well after some more experience I would like to make a solo-diver course (I know that I don't have enough experience for it yet but I need a target to be set).

There is recreational training for helitrox, but not for deco. Of course, with the advent of computers and bigger tanks you see many recreational divers doing a sort of "deco on the fly." :)

Hi there H9O -

There's a lot more to diving than a mad race for the next card.

Get out and dive, lots. Throughout the region. All sorts of conditions.

If you have to ask what training you should do next, then you need more time diving and building up experience until you can answer that question yourself.

Cheers,
Rohan

Why do you need to do another course if none seem appropriate? There is no obligation to keep doing courses, as you mentioned you have another thread on this topic as well so I was wondering why you keep asking? You got a lot of good advice here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/213802-what-course-do-next.html

You have mentioned deep diving a few times, find a good instructor or mentor and get them to train you beyond what the PADI deep diver course will. One dive to 47m and a handful below 30m means you are very inexperienced in deep diving and with only 60 dives, are a very inexperienced diver in general and would benefit from a mentor/instructor. They can also work out with you what is most appropriate for future training.

Back
Top Bottom