Ikelite housing crazing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chewslife2

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
IMG_0594
Hello, I'm not sure if this is anything to be concerned about or not, I received my housing for my SD870 IS last week and there is a crazing of the housing slightly below and to the left of the zoom control Knob. The outside of the housing seems smooth when I run my finger over it , when I open the housing and look up inside at it, there is a rougher appearance, as if perhaps the housing were hit by tooling during manufacturing. I'm concerned that this may possibly be an issue underwater. The housing has not been used yet and I figure best to find out now, can this be fixed. I purchased the housing through Ralph Buscemi at Scuba Doo in San Bernardino , Ca.
Thank-you so much
Robert

For the price they charge for those cases, they better be PERFECT IMHO. It might be functional, but seeing as it is new, I would get a return for a perfect one.

I have several Ikelite housings. All have a small amount of crazing. I guess that it has to with the manufacturing process. It's visually off-putting but has never affected performance in any way. The crazing has remained constant and has never looked any different from the day that I bought the products.

Do a test: Put a few tissues and some toilet paper in the housing with a weight and dive with it before using it with your camera. This will not void your warranty. Ikelite stand behind their products - I have had nothing but GREAT service from them for years.

:DThanks guys,
I sent an e-mail to ikelite as I didn't get the JPG to post in my thread, I agree thier customer service is fantastic, and thier response time is incredibly fast. Maybe they can buff it out if it's not a performance issue, anyways I'll see what they recommend.
Thx
Robert

Thanks for your purchase of an Ikelite housing.

When looking at the front of the case, there is a small mold mark in the upper left corner where the ribs meet. This is a flow line formed as the material fills the mold. We cannot avoid this mold mark, and it does not affect the integrity or performance of the case. You can somewhat make it out in the following photo: Ikelite Housing

If we do determine from the photos you sent that there's a defect in the case, we will certainly take care of it for you right away.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

:D:D:D OMG, do you guys work 24/7, umm, no it's not a flow line, seems to be a definite tool strike perhaps in the machining process, you'll get a look at it monday when you get to the office I'm sure, anyways let me know what to do o.k.
thank-you so much
Robert
BTW I ordered my double handled tray last week, you guys definately shall get my bussiness.
thx again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom