Second stage free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingmoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
three years ago when I was certified I purchased a Yukon reg. I m getting close to my century dive and I've had 4 free flows. On every attemp to do deep dives, this reg has free flowed at or around 90 feet the last 2, I calmly switched to my octo, sqeezed off the air line to the yukon and assended to about 60 ft. switched back to the yukon and completed the dive. The lds thought it was a problem with the first stage when I explained it was the second he adjusted the demand lever it didnt help, its been adjusted three times now and still Im not able to dessentd passed 85-90 ft. one of my dive buds suggested I dont use the yukon and just dive with my octo My question is 1- is the yukon not recomended for dives at that deepth? seems a little strange!
2- why is my octo not free flowing at the same depth?
3- Am I going to damage the hose to my reg by sqeezing it off?
A little info : I was deep water certified two years ago using my wifes old scuba pro regs with no problems I have a total of 26 dives deeper then 70 ft. 4 of which are the free flows, about 8 using the scuba pro none of them free flows
Im considering the gs2000

Last edited:
Interesting, the Yukon is a pretty basic unbalanced piston regulator, there is really not much to it, so not much that can go wrong.

Personally it sounds like the reg needs a bit of a good going over, have it properly serviced and checked by your shop, or if you do it yourself here some pointers.

Your first point of departure in finding a problem is always the first stage.

Check the Intermediate pressure - it must be within spec (around 8-9 bar is a good average for problem solving) and it must be holding STEADY with no gauge creep, (pressure build up) this will eventually cause a free flow - any creep means the first stage seat is toast - change it out.

Your next step is the second stage, check the LP seat and spring, heavy indentations on the LP seat will also cause a free flow, its quick and easy and I would change it as a matter of course.

Next check the adjustment of the set screw (knife edge) against the seat, this may be set too fine which gives you a nice easy breather at 50ft, but deeper, it is too fine and increased water pressure, decreases the tension of the seat against the knife edge and causes a free flow - this is very likely one of the causes - tighten up the set screw a half a turn against the seat and see if it improves things.

No improvement ? - Your next step is the LP inhalation spring, it may be compressed. Check it against a new one if possible, any visible compression of the spring will mean the spring is now weaker than standard, change it out. This is not usual though and your last item to check.

Setting the height of the demand lever is crucial, but I didnt include it as a cause as it appears its been checked and is okay.?

You should be able to descend to 100 ft on a Yukon with no problems, its maybe not the best breather around but its capable of that depth.

Your octo may not free flow at the same depth due to a number of reasons, mainly it is probably set a bit tighter (ie) greater tension on the LP seat to avoid this very problem.

I wouldnt continue squeezing off my hose - its not designed to take this kind of treatment and it will eventually weaken it.

Check the Yukon out well, there is a mechanical issue here, its not right it starts free flowing at 80 ft.

I have squeezed off many a garden hose but the thought never occured to me that one can squeeze off a regulator hose. I am glad to know that. I frequently dive to ninety feet, with back up regulator but no alternate air supply. Frankly, if I had the ways and means I would purchase a new regulator. Nothing at all wrong with having the mal-functioning one serviced, but you can have it serviced and do the after service testing while you are enjoying a new reg. Just a thought.

... A little info : I was deep water certified two years ago using my wifes old scuba pro regs with no problems I have a total of 26 dives deeper then 70 ft. 4 of which are the free flows, about 8 using the scuba pro none of them free flows
Im considering the gs2000
Does "wife's old Scuba Pro regs" mean old as in age, or replaced w/ newer gear? If it means the second, take that gear on as yours and problem solved.

Interesting, the Yukon is a pretty basic unbalanced piston regulator, there is really not much to it, so not much that can go wrong.

Personally it sounds like the reg needs a bit of a good going over, have it properly serviced and checked by your shop, Check the Yukon out well, there is a mechanical issue here, its not right it starts free flowing at 80 ft.

As I still consider myself a new diver I Put my safe (to a point)and I guess faith in the lds hoping that when I bring gear in for service once a year and tell the genesis dealer and owner of the lds that I am having issues with this Reg I ASSUME (and yes I know what this acronem means) that he is going to service my regs properly. well stupid me A guess that another good reason to change my lds whitch I have done. Afew years ago The Genesis rep set up a hands on coarse to service your own regs, As a member of Club Aquarius(SSI) that owned Genesis regs I should have been ask to attend. I found out after the fact, I also found out that members that didnt own Genesis gear were invited
sorry As you can tell Im a little P.O. ed at that lds and Their little clic. Well Our season is over so Im taking my gear in for service And will have it properly serviced thanks

Does "wife's old Scuba Pro regs" mean old as in age, or replaced w/ newer gear? If it means the second, take that gear on as yours and problem solved.

My wife is my dive buddy most of the time, but when I dive with the boys
I occasonaly Borrow her "Old 8-10 year" Well serviced Regs She doesn't like the dark and dirty at the lake so It works out . Ive used them after Ive had issues with mine, but she wont give them up "Surprize" thanks for the input

As I still consider myself a new diver I Put my safe (to a point)and I guess faith in the lds hoping that when I bring gear in for service once a year and tell the genesis dealer and owner of the lds that I am having issues with this Reg I ASSUME (and yes I know what this acronem means) that he is going to service my regs properly. well stupid me A guess that another good reason to change my lds whitch I have done. Afew years ago The Genesis rep set up a hands on coarse to service your own regs, As a member of Club Aquarius(SSI) that owned Genesis regs I should have been ask to attend. I found out after the fact, I also found out that members that didnt own Genesis gear were invited
sorry As you can tell Im a little P.O. ed at that lds and Their little clic. Well Our season is over so Im taking my gear in for service And will have it properly serviced thanks

Yeah, sounds like the shop either didnt know whats wrong or for some reason didnt want to fix it -wouldnt have taken them 5 minutes to put the reg on a bench and run a few tests to determine the issue - probably moving shop was a wise choice, however, I still think its something you could do yourself if you feel so inclined, the Yukon is really a great reg to cut your teeth on repair wise. You can get away with servicing this reg with no special tools, just take your time and work slowly and methodically, (if you need schematics, PM me and I will e-mail them to you) - just a few basic tools and you would be hard pressed to get it wrong here.:D

Hope it works out for you.

it me again I have tried to contact GENESIS Via this Forum and the web site link.
I know the dema show was on but its over now. Is there a rep out there HELLO. If this is an embarassing quiere you could PM me I would like this problem resolved. I guess Ill move on to a different make of dive gear. I wont put my faith in a product that I cant get answers from the manufacture for problems that I feel are a danger to me and other divers.

Sorry Divingmoose,

I didn't realize you were waiting to hear back from me...

The Yukon should be just fine to opperate at depth. There is not a reason that comes to my mind why it would freeflow at depth. With the increased ambient pressure at depth a regulator is less likely to free flow, not more likely to free flow, especially an unbalanced regulator like the Yukon.

Everyone on this blog is correct. You should take the regulators to have them serviced at a LDS you trust and know does good work.

If you want a reccomendation of who to visit, I would be happy to give you some direction. Where are you located?

Genesis Rep.

Im in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada and I choose not to deal with a well known the Genesis dealer in Wpg. if you can pm me with another contact for a "reliable Genesis service dealer"in Wpg. other than (Oh) I choose not to dis that dealer at this time. I will try them. if not I will move on! thank you for your responce.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom