Oceanic PP2 or Mares Nemo Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birmbear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm getting my first computer and I've narrowed things down to two: the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 or the Mares Nemo Air. They're really similar and people have good things to say about each. So the question becomes: which one's that little much better than the other?

Thanks,
__Birm

Birm, I just bought a Mares Nemo Air from Dolphin Scuba Center (in CA) and they matched the lowest price that I found for the unit. If you haven't bought it yet I suggest that you go to the Extreme Sports (in the EU) website and copy the URL for the price that they have listed. Then go to Dolphin's website and click on price match. Copy the URL into the form and, hopefully they will match the price like they did for me. Instead of Dolphin's excellent web price of $650, I paid $420, which is almost half of the price that my LDS wanted to charge me.

I recently purchased the Pro Plus 2 from a local shop and it has been a great computer. I would say to look around... I found mine which included the compass and quick disconnect for a lot less than anywhere else, including online dealers... it was a "Hey, there's a scuba shop we haven't been to! Let's see what they have" deal. Turned out to be a good one so don't rush to get something just because... wait for that deal... it will be there.

As far as function, I only have a few dives on it but I do believe it is very similar because I was also looking at the Mares to buy. You can get the manual online to review it... that was very helpful for me because I wanted to know everything it could do. I was looking specifically for one that handled Nitrox mixtures so that cut out many of the other computers, but I must say, I wasn't too interested in an AI computer (until I got this deal) because of the price differences.

Some of the features... you can set F02 for nitrox dives, adjust your PO2 warning level (1.2 - 1.6), adjust your nitrogen warning level (to be more conservative), manual or water activation, review dives and with $ cable, upload dive profiles to computer and set a warning for low pressure when you first connect it and set a warning pressure and/or time before NDL so you can safely ascend. I set the "on" warning pressure for 2750 and on my last dive it actually went off as I was descending because I has used up a bit on the surface helping with my wife's class. The audible warning was quite sufficient for me. (I didn't have a hood.)

One little quirky thing I noticed... since it has an ascent rate graph... if you quickly grab it and look at it (assuming it is dangling), the warning may go off because the computer thinks you are ascending too fast.

Overall I am very pleased with it. I hope to get many years of use out of it.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom