Hoax Calls - Not funny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken abucs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As a diver I hope I never run into the Coast Guard. That's usually an indication of a very bad day in our hobby. But it's nice to know they are there, and the lengths they'll go to to save our butts.

Then there's this:
Coast Guard Seeks Public Help For Hoax Calls - New Hampshire News Story - WMUR Manchester

I'd hate to think that the Coast Guard might be tied up chasing down a hoax call when a diver or boater is in need.

Six years in prison and a fine of $250,000 is too light a penalty. I think they should drop him a couple miles offshore in a life jacket and cold weather gear, and see how long it will take for the CG to rescue him.

Last edited:
Same sentiments as above come to mind. The Coast Guard are true professionals who do not need to have their time wasted, or lives endangered. Hopefully, someone this stupid will talk about it and get turned in!

X

Slightly unrelated, but this sort of thing is prevalent (worldwide) with all the emergency services. There was a local (in UK) case of a guy whose girlfriend had split up with him and to 'teach her a lesson' he sent the fire service round to her house for a 'major fire'. It is common for the police to also attend major blazes (traffic management mainly) and they found the culprit taking photos of the event (there was, of course no fire). He had a (far too short) custodial sentence handed to him. Sadly, these a$$ holes are seldom caught - though I like the idea of dropping them in the ocean as punishment. Not sure the luxury of an exposure suit is necessary though!

Not sure the luxury of an exposure suit is necessary though!

With 56f surface temps survival would be tough after an hour or two. I didn't want it to be a death sentence. :hanged:

A few hours in 5' seas would be a heck of a lot longer than 5 years in a relatively cushy jail cell.:evil:

How about the gal that called 911 to send the policeman back because she thought he was cute... Ah dahh - he was originally sent there because the neighbors called when she was drunk and making a ruckus.

Seriously... the Coast Guard could be our last hope. It's rather like those folks that don't get out of the way of the ambulance. Too busy on their cell phones to let grandma make it to the hospital in a timely manner. Brings to mind the old fable about calling wolf...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom