My first Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nvnrjn

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone!
I am looking to buy my very first dive computer. I am leaning towards the wrist top models but still haven't made up my mind. So far I'm looking at the suunto models.
I am not a regular diver and can only dive every 6 months or so. So I am considering a reliable and easy entry level model. Can anyone suggest some computers?

My first computer was a Suunto Cobra. I got it because of the air integration.

Unfortunately, it only lasted for about 85 dives before it required a $400 repair.

Recommend some other manufacturer.

Good luck!
nd

Lately, the Suunto Gekko has been at a good buy. It is a good basic wrist computer for under $300 that does both air & nitrox (if you decide to do nitrox in the future). It is not air integrated, so you would have to have a, SPG along with it. The only thing I have seen, is it doesn't have a back light, you have to shine your light on the computer to make it glow to see it. If you think about it, you would have to use your other hand to turn on a back light anyway, so why not just shine a light on it? It would save battery life also, not having the back light (depending on how often you feel the need to light it up). Overall it's a good basic computer at a reasonable cost.

Seconded on the Gekko. Nitrox compatible, and can be made into a download able computer easily.

Oceanic Veo 100 (with or without NX). The computer is built like a rock and I think you can get an open box 100NX for like 200 bucks on scuba.com. I have used these through my LDS a bunch of times and they're really nice.

Dive Rite Nitek Duo or one of the Seiko base 2 gas computers (Zeagle N2ition, Tusa IQ700, Cressi Arquimedes, etc). Great wrist computer for around $350.

The Suunto Gekko is a great choice for a new diver. It is simple to use, cheap and has the option for Nitrox and Altitude diving if you want to do them. I've been using my gekko for a while now, the only reason i want a new computer is for tech diving.

Oceanic VEO250. You can get it in console or wrist mount form. Easy as pie to navigate, Nitrox compatible, user changeable batteries.

If you happen to go with a wrist mount, just make sure to watch your SPG if it's not integrated. I've seen people who have changed to a wrist mount (from console) and they forget all about taking an occasional look at their SPG.

I suggest a single-gas nitrox SUUNTO. These are reliable computers, and good enough to be used even for tech-deco in gauge mode.

The multi-gas nitrox computers are quite useless, since you really would need helium capability in a multi-gas computer to be practical.

Back
Top Bottom