Why are the housings so big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
First, I love my Ikelite products!!! :)

However, I've noticed that Ikelite housings have an awful lot of empty space between the camera and the inner wall of the housing. Compared with the camera manufacter's own housings, which are "skin tight" in comparison, the Ikelite housings seem to be a lot bigger than necessary. Of course, the smaller size is nice.

For example, compare the housings for the Canon Powershot G9.

So, what's the deal here? Are the Ikelite housings bigger because they better withstand depth/pressure, or is it some other kind of better quality issue?

I'm really just curious :)

Thanks!
nd

Attachments

• WPDC21_250.jpg
    WPDC21_250.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 74
  • 1142.jpg
    1142.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 69
Because when a manufacturer makes a housing for a camera, it's more or less dedicated to a specific brand and model of camera.

When others manufacture housings, they make one housing that can acommodate numerous makes and models and then locate the buttons and fittings.

It's a matter of cost. If Ikelite were to make a camera specific housing for each and every make and model, no one would be able to afford one.

the K

Well I can give one reason why your example (G9) is different, and reasons why the Ikelite housing is superior!

The Canon housing does not give access to all the buttons and dials on the camera. Actually, this does not matter a great deal, as the rear dial functions can be accessed via 3 buttons. However, Ikelite do make every G9 function available, but need extra space to accommodate the extra knobs.

I like the Ikelite housing for G9. It is slightly negatively buoyant (when the camera is in it) and is easy to handle under water.

Also, the Ikelite has a cable attachment for the hot shoe (the Canon housing does not). This means that you can use the eTTL features of this camera with Ikelite strobes. Also, as the camera 'knows' a flash is connected, its internal flash never fires (saving the need to mask it off, which would be the case for fibre-optic strobes on the Canon housing).

Lastly, the Ikelite port is circular! This means it is far easier to add a wet lens.

So for these 4 reasons, the Ikelite is superior (if bigger!):
  1. Access to ALL dials and buttons
  2. Availability of wired eTTL flash
  3. Wet lenses can be attached easily (OK it's possible with the Canon housing's 'square' port, but tricky)
  4. Increased depth capability

And Lastly,

Ike housing is thicker hence more durable when it comes underwater. And most important of all, you have accessories which you can work with Ike. E.g Strobe lights, lenses... and so on...

Hope it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom