DIR/GUE gear guestion ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK as I finding out more and planning on attending a DIR-F class this summer

What type make and modal of harness, wings and plate you recommend
Items of important to me are can do singles or double steel tanks.
I know this may come as a shock to some but have always used a vest type BC
and to be honest
I love my BC that is a Sherwood avid, has plenty D rings comfortable but
cant do doubles ECT.
These will be used with singles steel and doubles on wrecks off coast of NC mainly
average depth under 140 any ideas please state why and if a general
price.
I am trying to put me together a package thanks Joe

A harness is just a length of weight belt webbing and some hardware. You can rig it yourself or buy it already on the plate.

Any plate will work.

Wings that work for doubles don't tend to work nearly as well for singles. I think your best to have two wings.

If you are going to use a harness/backplate system with singles and doubles, you really do need 2 wings. I would recommend the 27# for the single and a 55# for doubles. That said- a backplate is a backplate is a backplate. The harness is (as already said) a single peice of webbing (no rings, no fastex buckles)with 3 D rings- one each on the chest and one on the left waist. As for the wing- I *personally* prefer the Halcyon 55#. I used a Dive Rite classic wing for years, and was perfectly happy, until I borrowed a Halcyon froma friend- the shape of the wing is slightly different, and I find that I like it much better.

Chickdiver, how can you recommend a wing without more information Re: the lift that medic13 actually need?

As a side note:

I would suggest that you look into getting a drysuit or go with double Aluminums.... but not wetsuit/double steels/OW.

Of course you could do the double bladder BWOD... but that is another can of worms. :wink:

Arnaud-

An 18-27# wing is standard for siving a single tank.

I have never seen a set of doubles that required more than 55# of lift. In fact- I dive double steel 104's 4 stage bottles (aluminum) an argon bottle, and a steel 72 O2 bottle plus 2 scooters with a 55# wing- I have plenty of lift, and I am a very petite 5"3" tall.

chickdiver once bubbled...
Arnaud-

I have never seen a set of doubles that required more than 55# of lift. In fact- I dive double steel 104's 4 stage bottles (aluminum) an argon bottle, and a steel 72 O2 bottle plus 2 scooters with a 55# wing- I have plenty of lift, and I am a very petite 5"3" tall.

I dive singles only and can't comment on doubles. Many cold water divers use a 36# wing for singles, including yours truly. The "standard" depends on your environment and equipment, doesn't it?

Once you get your BP and harness dialed, you can simply change out the wings to fly a doubles rig. If I read your question correctly, you're diving a single now, right ? (with the Sherwood).

I dive a single, steel PST HP100, in cold (relative term...put down the keyboard all you PNW divers) So Cal waters. I use the steel plate with a 36# Pioneer wing. If you factor in the 6# of the plate, the 10 - 12 on the belt, the light and safety gear, the weight of the full cylinder, the 36# wing was the best choice for me.

As a newbie having never actually seen a real BP/W set up, I opted for the BP/Harness combo (sort of pre-threaded). That way, all I needed to do was make siome minor adjustments, and I was ready to roll.

If you have access to a correctly threaded harness (at a shop, a buddy's rig, etc.) I would recommended just picking up the components and saving the $$. The components of the harness are cheap by themselves (webbing, Drings, tri-glides...there's a listing on several sites. Someone will post a BOM, I'm sure) and nothing beats threading your own rig to truly "know" the in's and out's of how it works.

I dove a BC for years and did little more than ever loosten and tighten the shoulder straps as I donned and doffed it. There is a lot to be said about building your own rig, and the confidence that delivers.

Enjoy -

Ken

medic13,

I have a Halcyon 27lbs SS setup that you are welcome to try out if you like.

BPs are fairly similiar. I have a SS FredT and a SS Halcyon. Both are nice but, I think the FredT is a better plate and costs less. As for the wings, I think the Halcyon wings are the best. For single tank diving, a 27lbs wing should be fine. For doubles, a 55lbs wing.

I bought the complete 27lbs Halcyon Pioneer setup for $505.00 + shipping. I added it up and it came out cheaper to buy the whole setup vs. pieces here and there. Great setup, I'm extremely happy with the rig. I have dove every type of BC around; jackets, "tech style", hybrids, whatever...The BP/Wings blow them all away.

I dive singles only and can't comment on doubles. Many cold water divers use a 36# wing for singles, including yours truly. The "standard" depends on your environment and equipment, doesn't it?
I haven't found a cold water, Great Lakes dive that my 27# Pioneer couldn't handle yet. For single tank, wetsuit dives, it works just fine, for me anyway.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom