Galileo SOL Bulge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sstriano

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I just received my new Galileo SOL computer and upon checking it out there seems to be a small bulge in the case above the three silver buttons.

It would be about in the middle of the battery compartment of the case.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It seems to be a blemish in the mold, and just would not want it to leak. It is not cracked or anything, just a slight bulge.

Weird.

Thanks,
Sam

Here is a picture. Kind of hard to see, but it gives the location.

Regards,
Sam

Attachments

• Bulge.jpg
    Bulge.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 382
Here is a picture. Kind of hard to see, but it gives the location.

Regards,
Sam

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like a manufacturing defect. If you bring it back, I'm sure they'll take care of it for you.

Uwatec has excellent service policies.

Terry

Hi Sam:

Just looked at mine, and there does not appear to be any bulge. Second the take it back to the shop for a check out. Great piece of gear.

Good luck!

Dan

Hello,

I took the computer back to the shop and the owner said it looks like a mold mark, and that he would have another computer in there in a day or so. The new one came in and he said it too appeared to have the mark.

I emailed SCUBAPRO with the image, and he said it does not appear to be a big deal.

My instructor also has a SOL, and he said his appears to have the mark as well.

I also called a few SCUBAPRO shops and they also verified the mark.

So i am going to assume that it is from a mold, and dive the darn thing :)

After all it is not that big of a deal and there appears to be no breach in the case.

Regards,
Sam

One of the injection tools that makes the clam shell part may have a slight defect, or the plastic is being deformed during the de-molding process. That would explain why some have it but not all.

One of the injection tools that makes the clam shell part may have a slight defect, or the plastic is being deformed during the de-molding process. That would explain why some have it but not all.

So would you say not to worry about it?

Thanks,
Sam

Could anyone else that owns this computer, please upload a pic so i can have a look?

Thanks,
Sam

Well im not sure the manufacturers tolerance spec. we do laser scanning so if we had the CAD model we cold scan the defect and compare it back to determine the dimensional deviation. i would take a few sheets of paper. each one is about .004" thick, and i would try to measure the height of the bulge. (by using the sheets of paper as a feeler gauge) and determine the height of the bulge. I would guess the tolerance for the plastic part to be about .001" to .005".

Most likely the bulge isnt a problem. I'm sure every unit is tested for leakage and build quality. At least they should be. But having some knowledge of the surface inconsistancy wouldnt be a bad thing to know, and keepan eye on.

I just took a look at my wife's Sol and there does appear to be a bulge. To be fair, this bulge is tiny. I can feel it if I run my finger over it. But it's barely visible looking right at it. You kind of have to get the right angle of light on it to see it clearly. I don't believe it's a problem. The computer has about 35 dives on it and has been down to about 120', no problems so far.

Back
Top Bottom