Menjangan vs Bunaken Marine Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VegasSharks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Fellow Divers,
Our small group had the opportunity to dive Bali (Tulamben and Menjangan) last month and we enjoyed it so much that were considering go back to Indonesia in 2009.

In reviewing prior post it’s pretty clear that Komodo and Raja Ampat are on the "must do" list but honestly our current dive ability isn’t of that caliber---yet. :)

With that said, our group is considering Bunaken for our next trip so I was wondering if any of you could answer the following:

1. Would Bunaken be a good destination?
2. Our group maybe expanding-would this area offer dive sites for newly certified divers?
3. For those of you that have been to Tulamben/Menangan and Bunaken. Can you tell me how Bunaken compares to Menjangan? (i.e. is diving Bunaken better/same/worse than diving in Menjangan). If it’s better, if possible, please explain why.

Additional note: Dive ability for group will be from newly certified diver to 100 logged dives. Please consider this if you recommend Bunaken. Also, would Lembeh be a possibility for our group considering our diving skills?

In closing, I haven’t had a chance to post pictures or trip reports from our trip but if anybody is considering Menjangan/Tulamben as a diving destination please don’t hesitate to PM with your questions and Ill do the best I can to assist you.

As always, your input is really appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Vegas
I love menjangan, Tulamben, and Bunaken. We had a week familiy dive trip at Tulamben and Seraya 2 months ago; and heading to Bunaken and Lembeh within less than 2 months from now. In my opinion, Bunaken wall is more spectacular, more colorfull than menjangan altough in term of marine diversities Tulamben is better.
There's lot of dive sites to satisfy everyone from any level, advance divers to snorkeler. On my trip to Bunaken 2 years ago, only myself dove menjangan - but my wife and my 2 daughters really enjoyed snorkeling - in fact, they saw more than me. This Dec. 3 of us will be diving and my younger daughter, 9 years old - of course not certified yet - will enjoy her ocean bubble maker. This mean, should not be any problem for your group - just tell and explain to the dive shop what you want - they will choose the most suitable site for you.

Cheers

We just got back from a Bunaken/Lembeh trip. The walls of Bunaken were great and there is a good variety of small life. We did not stay on the island but I understand there are several resorts. If you go to our Lembeh and Bunaken gallery any of the wall photos or reefy shots are from Bunaken.

Aquablue Dreams

depending on the size of your group a and the size of the dive operators boats, you may be able to get a boat for your group and make your own schedule. I think you will like the combination of Bunaken and Lembeh. Do as many night dives as you can at Lembeh.

There are some more challenging dives in some spots in Bunaken Marine Park, but many divesites are pretty easy and are suitable for beginners. The dive ops are pretty aware of the normal currents and try to schedule dives to avoid them, unless you want to dive them (the largest fish concentrations are found in the big currents and at the points of the islands).

As for Lembeh, I found the diving to be some of the easiest I've ever done, especially since the currents are very predictable and the dive ops try hard to avoid them, however, do be aware that the visibility at most sites is really awful (often in the 10-15 ft range). Because of this, you can lose sight of your buddy and/or dive group very easily. It's not a big problem since you are usually diving in sheltered bays with no current, at shallow depths, so if you lose everyone, you can just surface, get your bearings and find the boat, but this might be a bit scary for a brand new diver. If you are thinking about going to Sulawesi, you should definitely start off on the Bunaken side, then move over to Lembeh.

As for comparisons, I haven't dove Menjangan, but I have dove Sulawesi, Tulamben and Komodo. I really like Sulawesi, mainly because of Lembeh, but Bunaken is fun also. You won't be disappointed if you go and at least a few of you will probably get totally hooked on muck as we did.

Hey there,

i've been to both Menjangan and Bunaken. Personally i like Menjangan better, but Bunaken is also a great place to dive. Considering your diving skill, i would say both menjangan and bunaken are quite easy. Bunaken is mainly walls, so keep yourself close to the wall and maintain your depth at all times. There are currents but i would say it's generally mild current so there's nothing to worry about.

When i was in Bunaken i was diving with Eco divers. they are great. the boat is big, and everything is well prepared so if you ever want to dive in Bunaken, i highly recommend them.

i hope that helps. if you want to know more you can always ask me, and i'll be happy to help.

I have been to Menangan, Bunaken, Tulamben and Lembeh! Only did three dives @ Menangan, but lots (20-30?) at Tulamben and plenty at Bunaken and Lembeh.

1. Would Bunaken be a good destination?
2. Our group maybe expanding-would this area offer dive sites for newly certified divers?

Yes Bunaken is a great destination for beginners and offers some interest for more advanced. (I recommend advance divers try the dive Satchika (sp?) if there is a current (sharks at 30m & 1,000's of red toothed trigger fish) - and make sure to do a night dive!)

The atmosphere is very cool at Bunaken. Accommodations range from resort to budget. Diving is mostly wall diving and there are plenty of turtles. Some trash in the water (increases with storm run off) - dry season is best for vis.

Lembeh is amazing. Great buoyancy is important to maximize enjoyment, but beginners will enjoy the diving too. Usual dive depths are 20-12 meters and vis is pretty poor (20ft?) - good to stay close.

If you're in Manado, Advanced divers make sure to visit Lembeh for at least 3 days. I suspect beginners will enjoy Bunaken more, but Lembeh offers incredible muck diving.

3. For those of you that have been to Tulamben/Menangan and Bunaken. Can you tell me how Bunaken compares to Menjangan? (i.e. is diving Bunaken better/same/worse than diving in Menjangan). If it’s better, if possible, please explain why.

I liked Bunaken better than Menangan - nicer above water atmosphere. More bio-diversity & coral is in much better shape. More turtles & sharks.

Tulemben vs. Bunaken - hard for me to compare. Definitely more deep blue water at Bunaken and the chance to see larger sharks & more turtles. Also better snorkeling at sunset with fantastic coral and the chance to spot dugongs.

But I think tulemben has more fish, the eel garden, the school of sleeping hump head parrot fish, the school of jack fish & the big old bara & maybe more colorful corals on the drop-off

Additional note: Dive ability for group will be from newly certified diver to 100 logged dives. Please consider this if you recommend Bunaken. Also, would Lembeh be a possibility for our group considering our diving skills?

I dove Bunakan with Living Colours (a great shop owned by a scandinavian couple) - usually one boat took beginners to easy sites (some very easy) and the other took advanced divers to more challenging sites. A mixed group sould be no problem at this resort livingcoloursdiving.com -

If anyone wants cheaper accomodation they can stay at Lorenzo II bungalows right next door. It is just a 5 min walk down the beach and run by the indonesian partner. Guests usually dive with Living Colours. Some bungalows are nicer than others -and food is local and repetitive. If you're staying at Lorenzos go for the more expensive bungalows ;-).

Lembeh is fantastic for advanced divers & highly, highly recommended! It is possible for beginners, but buoyancy control is a major issue and DM's act only as spotters & guides. There are many dangerous fish on the bottom (sometimes under the sand) and often you are trying to see tiny sea life, therefore a beginner must have reasonable control of their boyancy. (the coral garden is nice - so are TK 1,2& 3)

If in dought about Lembeh, an alternative plan would be to leave beginners at Bunakan and slip off to Lembeh for a few days - transport one way should take 3 hrs and cost about $20 (I think) for a private car. You could travel in the AM and do an afternoon & night dive ;-).

Have fun!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom